new filter on cycled tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

4x4kayak2112

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive searched but i need to know something
My hob aquatec is making a horriable sound. Ive cleaned it and it still bypasses the filters with new media in it. And dosent suck very good. It seems like its going out. Ive taken it apart to clean it and an implellor fin is missing. So can i get a ehiem 2217 and add my biomedia out of the hob to the canaster? Would this prevent a cycle? Its going in a established 55 gal fw tank with 3 shubunkins and a huge pelco and three blue gla.....spelling?

You can just put the old bacteria rich media in the tank. In a few days the new filter will be loaded & you can dump the old media. If you have gravel in the tank it may be all the bio media you need. Don't worry it's hard to remove bacteria (except with chlorine).

What canister are you considering?
You can put the HOB filter media it in the tank, but that's not a look I'd like and may take longer to seed the filter. I'd rather stuff it in one of the media trays so it's out of sight and seeds faster.

Back
Top Bottom