New filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tanz8anz

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have brought a new filter for my tank one suitable for the tank as our old one was too small...

As far as im aware the tank is cycled and water is fine.. so how do i go about changing the filter the new one is a cansiter as is the old one. The old one has 2 baskets one has ceramic ring looking things and the other has a sponge and wool. I am unsure what the new has in its baskets as it hasnt arrived yet all i no is it has 3 baskets.

Is it best to put the ceramic rings from the old one in the new one i think the sponge and wool will b too small for the new one...

And what is the best filter media to have in the tank eg bio balls ceramic rings etc?

Sent from my LG-E460f using Aquarium Advice mobile app

No i dont i take it to the pet shop to test it with but they use the api testing kit. In new zealand its close to $80 for the testing kit and the pet shop will test it for free.. it was tested yesterday and everything was fine.. but because of the crap filter tge gave a biological cleaner help reduce bio waste until we could get a new filter and i put that in.yesterday when i got home it did say it could cause ammonia to go up so to use it with the bacteria supplement which i did

I would suggest to run both of the filters on the tank for a couple weeks, maybe even stir up the substrate a bit. This will get the new filter established with the beneficial bacteria you need, then you can remove the old filter.

Wouldnt that b a bit of over kill for the tank or is it a case of u cant have to much filteration? How do.u no the new filter is established

You can't have too much filtration. I would run them together for at least 3 weeks, then take off the old one.
Or you can just move all the media possible from the old one to the new one and it should be fine within a few days. Just move everything you can.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom