New Fish Acclimation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

phoenixkiller

Aquarium Advice Addict
What is the correct way to acclimate a new fish when it is in the bag? I just special-ordered a Blue Mickey Mouse Platy, and I really want to know how to properly acclimate him. The way I usually do it is float the bag for 15 minutes, then empty the bag through a net into the sink. (I always make sure to never get pet store water into my tank) Any experienced answers?

While floating the bag, try to add some water from the tank into the bag slowly.

Float the bag for 15 minutes for the tank and bag temperature to equalise and then for the next 30-60 minutes add a small cup of water every 5 mins. That's what I do, but you don't necessarily have to do the cupping water for a full half an hour

I think it depends on the type of fish and how long its been in the bag. Drip acclimation is the way to go but if i see a fish is really stressed due to ammonia build up or low oxygen i may just add the fish immediately, especially if its a rift lake cichlid because of the high ph.

I've gotten all of my fish through the mail and I drip acclimate them. All you need is some airline tubing. I open the bag the fish is in and gently pour the fish and the water into a holding bucket or container (I use a breeding cup or a small bucket, depending on the fish). Then run some airline tubing into the tank (I tape it down on the side to hold it in place) then suck on the other end of the tubing to start the flow (point it into another bucket because it'll come out fast).

Once the flow is started you want to reduce it so it come out at a relatively quick drip. So you can either tie some knots into the tubing until the flow slows or you can buy some cheap flow valves at the pet store. Then just put the dripping end of the tubing into the bucket that the fish are in and let the water double. Then pour or take half of it out, and drip again until the water doubles again. I do this for about 45 mins - an hour. Then net the fish into the tank. Before I did this the first time I practiced a few times before I actually received the fish so I would know how to do it beforehand lol.

Alternatively you could add some water to your tank every 10-15 minutes for an hour or so as the others said above.

+1 w/ drip acclimation, a great way to slowly accustom new stock to your tank's water chemistry and temperature. From now on I do 3hr drip acclimation like librarygirl described.

Back
Top Bottom