New fish compatibility and seeding issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicho

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all! New to the site, just loved the community that is here to help.

My crisis:
Recently got a 11 gallon tank, but when filling it realised that it only holds almost exactly 7.5 gallons, plants and gravel included. Boo hoo.

I was going to take some media from a very, VERY established koi/goldfish tank that my aunt has and I wanted to know if I should just take filter media, or if I should get gravel, filter media and water.

Next, it annoyed me to find out that Serpae Tetras were fin nippers. GOSH! :banghead: Anyhoo, I would have liked to have 6 Serpaes and 6 Neons, because I want some sort of minor variety (I like the shape and color contrast between the red/cream and the blue/red), but it seems that now I should only get the 6 Neons and maybe a Black Molly? Can Neon Tetras and Black Mollies stay together peacefully? I read up that Neons cannot tolerate ANY salt, whereas Black Mollies need salt to be in optimum health. The latter also prefers slightly hard water, but Neons prefer it a bit soft.

I also didn't want all my fish having the same umm... Long shape like the Neon and Rummy Nose Tetras. I like a little round-shaped goodness.

So in summary, what filter media do I need, can Neon Tetras and Black Mollies survive in the same conditions and what other small non single-colored fish can I get with the Neons? I also want an algae eater... I love at least one type of different fish... Not just two small schools.

For sure grab some filter media, the more the better but don't take so much that it throws her setup into a cycle. You can grab some gravel if you like, it may help but not near as much as filter media. Don't bother with water, there is not enough bacteria in it to make any difference at all.

Back
Top Bottom