new fish. quick question :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alichestnut

Aquarium Advice Newbie
what do i feed red serpae tetras? i noticed they are mostly in the bottom or in the middle of the tank and currently all of my fish foods floats so it takes a while for them to see it. any specific food that i can buy in petsmart/petco that is specifically for this type of fish?

Serpae will eat anything you throw at them generally. Flake, slow sinking pellet type feed, bloodworm etc. They are normally fast enough to grab a bite.

Have you had them long? Maybe they are not quite settled yet??

Sorry, no petsmart/petco in UK !

I got them new! Only 3-4 days ago!!! My tank is cycled though. Ive been feeding them dried bloodworms cause the pellets that i have for my betta is too big i think. Ill try to buy them flakes. They're kinda pale red right now too. Hopefully they'll get darker as time goes by

The New Life Spectrum Small Fish pellets is perfect for them. It will slowly sink after a little bit and the Serpaes scoop it up as it falls. IT makes their colors really pop too. That's one option. OS.

You never said what size tank or what other fish you have? Serpaes can be aggressive, they eat fish scales if this tells you anything.

It sounds to me like the tetras are still acclimating. If this doesn't go away in like 5 days pull water samples from top, middle and bottom-use air line to pull samples. Serpaes typically have zero issues transitioning.

As I said above, watch them with the other fish and have Plan B ready. The pet stores should mark these aggressive. Funny, Petsmart marks Tiger Barbs as non-aggressive community fish.

Yeah, i had to remove my betta plakat because they started to nip his fins. It says, non- aggresive in petsmart! They are very active and they move alot. Seems like they didnt have a hard time adapting to their new enviroment. I got them pale though but like i said i hope they get redder eventually. Do you think i can eventually pair them with cardinal/neon tetras?

How many Serpaes do you have? I've got six that I've had about a year and a half. I have them with neons, rummys and corys. They settled down after the first two weeks and just bluff-spin among themselves and never bother the other fish. OS.

Back
Top Bottom