New fish! (Slightly overstocked)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

svbaner123

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
IMG_1155.jpg I got two new bloodfin tetras three red eye tetras and a figure 8 puffer who loves freeze dried blood worms... weird lol yes I know I'm a little overstocked for my 20 gallon but for now they are Juvies so we are good til I get my 55 for my puffer and my goby

You don't want to put the puffer in with the other fish they are aggressive, a puffer tank should be species only or solitary, if you put them in with your tetras and other fish you're gonna have issues, also figure 8's prefer brackish but can live in a non brackish tank but again don't mix them with the other fish.

He hasn't been aggressive yet I researched him and people have said they do ok with other fish because f8's are less aggressive

That's incorrect bud, they will tear the other fish to pieces, also they have to have a slight brackish water where as tetras don't do well in brackish
f106e1ab806118aac6ded6f7ab719b4f.jpg

That's incorrect bud, they will tear the other fish to pieces, also they have to have a slight brackish water where as tetras don't do well in brackish
f106e1ab806118aac6ded6f7ab719b4f.jpg

Well thank you for clearing it up. I'll move him into my 5 gal til I can get a 15 gal for him :) thank you

I would get the 55 set up and cycled, and keep the puffer by himself in the 20 gallon, also most people feed them snails (MTS, pond snails) its a crucial part of their diet and beak as the shell from the snail sharpens it and keeps it trimmed.

I would get the 55 set up and cycled, and keep the puffer by himself in the 20 gallon, also most people feed them snails, its a crucial part of their diet and beak as the shell from the snail sharpens it and keeps it trimmed.

I was aware of that thought it would be when he grew a little tho

Well thank you for clearing it up. I'll move him into my 5 gal til I can get a 15 gal for him :) thank you
Yvw, just didn't want you to wake up with all your fish ate and the puffer looking at you like "what", puffers are amazing they are literally the only fish in the hobby that can decipher their owner from another person, their personalities are amazing.

I was aware of that thought it would be when he grew a little tho
Size doesn't mean anything tbh, I learned that when I was told I could put apistogrammas in my community tank, once they got their territory established any fish that went by them it was game over, Dwarf cichlids aka the spawn of the devil

Yvw, just didn't want you to wake up with all your fish ate and the puffer looking at you like "what", puffers are amazing they are literally the only fish in the hobby that can decipher their owner from another person, their personalities are amazing.

Yeah I saw him in the store and I fell in love with him lol I think he ate too much tho his tummy is all bloated is that normal?

Yeah I saw him in the store and I fell in love with him lol I think he ate too much tho his tummy is all bloated is that normal?

Update- his stomach is ok now I probably won't be able to get the 55 gallon til next month or so. I'm going to monitor him and make sure he is ok for the duration.

Back
Top Bottom