New fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Imianman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just got a new fish, a blenny of some kind I think. Interested to know what you guys think.

Attachments

• image-252624637.jpg
    image-252624637.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 108
Will he stop digging? He might be in danger from the falling live rock if he keeps it up.

Lol... yeah, jawfish are borrowers.. They say to push the rock as far down the substrate as possible.

I'm pretty sure they are supposed to be in deep sandbeds too. He'll stop digging when he hits bottom lol.

It's a four inch bed, he'll be digging for a while.

Love him!! When I went to my LFS on Friday they didn't have any left  instead I got a blackcap jawfish. He has made himself an awesome home he burrowed under part of rock and he watches everything from under there. Jawfish are awesome IMO

Attachments

• image-4005892290.jpg
    image-4005892290.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 94
keep a tight lid. they are jumpers and will aim for any open holes in the lid to escape. i guess no one told them it's awful dry out there!

mr_X said:
keep a tight lid. they are jumpers and will aim for any open holes in the lid to escape. i guess no one told them it's awful dry out there!

Lol mr x do u think the Biocube has enough of a tight lid? I also have a fish saver in the back where the filtration is

i've never examined a bio cube to know for sure. if you have a hole in the back, it might be a good idea to put some mesh over it.

His burrow is pointed away from the back of the tank. He doesn't even look there. When I introduced him he showed no inclination to jump.

that doesn't matter. if there was an award for the fish that was most probable to escape a tank, i would nominate either the blue spot or the pearly headed jawfish.

My blue dot is pretty secure where he is. He doesn't go to overflows and with a lid they are no problem at all.

I'm still more worried about him undermining the live rock he is burrowing under.

Thats why when your setting up a tank its a good idea to get your bottom layer of rock in before the sand. That way there is no way for it to fall.

Ya, simple solutions to both problems.
Push the lr as far down as it can go into the sand. Also, any stacking that you might have done, make sure that if the rock falls it wont hit the glass and crack it.

For the holes, just take one of those plastic baggies, the ziplock ones, and cut the zip lock off. I then use the double layered plastic and some transparent tape to seal up any holes. It usually gets a bit of condensation, but no fish will go through it :D

Back
Top Bottom