New fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashwina

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 7 small goldfish in my tank. They have been together for the past 6 months. I added two smaller goldfish in the tank today and the old ones are scared and hide behind the plants and stay on the travel. Please help is this normal

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It's not an answer to your question but what size tank is this? That's a lot of goldfish and it'll require a large tank, over 100 gallons.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It is fairly normal behavior, but as Nigel said - You are going to need a very large tank for that many fish.

Average size for an adult grown goldfish is 10-12 inches. Unless you have a large tank like Nigel and Mebbid said you will be seeing some water condition problems very soon.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

What is your WC schedule with that many goldfish? They must be producing a ton of waste!

To answer your question, whenever new fish/decor are introduced into the tank sometimes fish need a minute to adjust to the change of surroundings. I wouldn't worry about that part too much. Just be prepared that if you have 7+ goldfish in a small tank that you're either going to have to re-home them as they grow, or they will most likely die a slow death as their body's growth is stunted while their internal organs continue to grow. Being essentially crushed from within over time sounds like something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy, much less a fish under my care. Also that tank will get harder and harder to keep clean and stable.

Hopefully you have them in a 125 gal and we're all just being cautious :)

Back
Top Bottom