New Fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattylaw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Picked up these nice firemouth juveniles from the LFS, really happy with the purchase. I don't know a whole lot about them other than the basics, anyone have experience with them that I should know?IMG_0757.jpg

IMG_0755.jpg full tank shot, don't mind the heater I had to find a suction cup and forgot to take a new pic lol

How large is your tank? Difficult to tell from a pic, but I would guess about 40g? How many Firemouths did you get? What are your water parameters?
Firemouths are actually easy fish to care for. They'll thrive perfectly well on standard cichlid pellets like Hikari Cichlid Gold. They also like a treat now and then, and are especially fond of frozen blood worms, brine shrimp, or tiny krill. Apiece of dried seaweed or finely chopped spinach a couple times per week would be good also.
They appreciate caves and hides, though they won't spend as much time in them as most African cichlids do.
I read and hear often that they make good community fish, but I disagree. They're too aggressive for most community tanks, and can hold their own with oscars and Jack Dempsey's just fine. Most of their overt aggression is conspecific however.
I don't know what else to tell you, but if you have a specific question, I'm sure someone will be able to answer it here.

It is a 55 gallon, there are 2 firemouths 1-1/2 inches in size, ph is setting right at 7.0 nitrates 0ppm.

It's been decades since I had a fire mouth. But I seem to recall digging and plant uprooting.

They do some sifting of the substrate, true. Live plants won't have a chance, and artificial plants and small decor will get rearranged on occasion.
They'll do well with a PH of 7.0, but they're adaptable and do well with a wide range of parameters. My PH comes from the tap at 8.4 and my Firemouths are healthy and thriving; even bred a couple times.

Back
Top Bottom