New Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seems interesting and something to at least try out. Cant say that I have ever heard of it though.

Actually, I have used it. I'm not running out to purchase it again. I hope you experience will be more positive than mine.

Most of the 'chunks' of food were too big for my fish to each (so the crabs had a hayday). If the fish couldn't eat it, I wasn't even going to try feeding it to my sun corals. My anemone wouldn't have anything to do with it.

Not sure if that's enough detail for you folks but that's my take on it.

My not so local lfs sells Rods and they also sell their own homemade version of Rods. I never bought the Rods (pretty expensive), but their homemade Rods version is awesome. Sorry...I know that was no help....lol.

Mike....it's frozen.

Wow...thanks for the input! I am anxious to see how this food does. I have seen it before but never bothered to look at it due to the price ($21). My LFS has a fish bowl by the register that you can drop a business card or name in for a weekly drawing for free stuff. I got the Rod's food and some Purple-up. Like I said, the LFS feeds this in their frag tank and large reef tank and seem to love it.

Don't worry Mike...a full report will follow after I use it for a while.

We bought Rod's Reef (Brian and I share the package). It's a frozen food. It sounds similiar to what a lot of you mix up in your blender - I just can't bring myself to do that (UGH). We only feed it to our tanks occasionally. I use it in my 24 Nano about every 2 weeks. My tank goes crazy. I do break up the chunks when I defrost it but the clown fish make short work of it. Of course I'm feeding a small amount so the expense wasn't a huge issue. I bought it for variety and my lfs recommended it - they use it in their reef tanks weekly. It has squid, brine shrimp, octopus, mysis, etc. I can't say that it's the food (credit should probably go to Ziggy) but my corals are doing great. Pics soon. Got the new camera I've been asking for today. Now I just need to figure out how to get some good pics and post them.

Well...I fed my tank Rod's Food for the first time tonight. I can honestly say that I have never seen my corals react to food in this manner or this fast. Corals like my sun coral and lettuce coral that ussually only come out at night immediatly begain extending their sweepers. My Aussie ancans went crazy as well. IT is the first time I have seen my button polyps and zoanthids actually "grab" food and enclose around it. Not sure what is in there but they like it. I did thaw it and add Selcon, Vita-Chem and DT's to it. All in all, I am pretty happy with the product.

I used Rod's Food for about a month.Fish and corals loved it.Started getting a layer of algea/diatoms on the substrate.Posted on local Saltwater Aquarium Forum and Reef Central and heard from some others that noticed new substance on substrate also.Feed sparingly and make sure none settles on substrate.I stopped use and within a month substrate clean.Just my observations.

Cool, thanks for the info!
Lando, and news?

Last edited:
Seems to be working great so far. I feed it 2-3 times/wk with no issues.

Back
Top Bottom