New FOWLR tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blue02celi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hi
I've been searching around and looking up info on FOWLR setups and had a few questions, mostly about sump tanks. Are they hard to make? I pretty much understand whats going on in the sump, I guess im stuck on exactly how its getting to and from the main tank. I know you use a pump to get it back in, is it being siphoned into the sump? I dont have a hole in my tank and dont see myself putting one in so I would have to use an overflow right?

also what I was planning on at first was to just have the LR for a while before i got any fish to put in the tank and after I got all that set up then add the fish later on. I've heard that some people dont use filters if they have enough LR to match their tank size. I have a 55 gal which is 48x12x18 in height. I have a small 10 gallon that isnt in use so i was thinking I might be able to use that for something...

everything seems like its getting confusin :lol: so much reading and I feel like I havent understood anything lol
any info and help is appreciated
thanks

What you are describing is exactly what my eel tank is. I have an overflow box rated at 1200 gph. Live rock is the filtration. Return line goes into a spray bar. The only other mechanics is a protein skimmer and heater in the sump.

I would think you would want something a little bigger then 10 gallons for your sump. Maybe a 20 long.

Attachments

• img_0355_168.jpg
    img_0355_168.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 69
Hi,
Is a 55 gallon big enough for an eel?
Also, what kind of eel do you have and is he a little promiscuous when it comes to eating? Jeff

I believe Hara has a 100G eel tank.
I don't think promiscuous is the right word, in this context....

Cafe Jeff said:
Hi,
Is a 55 gallon big enough for an eel?
Also, what kind of eel do you have and is he a little promiscuous when it comes to eating? Jeff

Hi,
I dont want to hijack this thread talking about the eels, I would be glad to answer any question you have via pm though!
Thanks.

Are you just starting your tannk?

U'll find lots of people who have gotten by with just live rock...

I am making a sump myself.... unfortunately i purchased a hang on the back protein skimmer that... isnt designed for a sump, so if you have the money research and by all the right equipment so things work together...

1. Overflow
2. Sump
3. Protein Skimmer (for inside your sump)

Back
Top Bottom