New GBR's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

black hills tj

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys.

Aquabid is awesome. I just received 5 youth GBR's for 30 dollars shipped 2nd day fedex with live arrival guarentee. I drip acclimated them for 4 hours, and they look great. I will get pics soon. I 2 males and 3 females. I also have an older male in my tank, so I am hoping that I get some pairs to spawn. As soon as I can pick out the pairs I'm going to move one of the pairs into a 10g tank where they will be the only inhabitants other than a few otto's. The remaining 2 pairs will stay in my 20g tall with an otto, 5 striata loaches, and 3 rummynoses.

Thanks hara. They look great. My older male GBR makes them look so tiny! I did notice that my older male's colors really popped shortly after putting the others in the tank. Keep in mind they are all in the 20g i mentioned right now. Showing off maybe? trying to establish some sort of dominance?

black hills tj said:
Thanks hara. They look great. My older male GBR makes them look so tiny! I did notice that my older male's colors really popped shortly after putting the others in the tank. Keep in mind they are all in the 20g i mentioned right now. Showing off maybe? trying to establish some sort of dominance?

Yes, their colors will change like that. Whenever I rearrange my 55 gallon with 6 adult GBR's, the alpha male will get a black patch under his mouth by his "chest area" or between his pelvic fins. The bases of his pectoral fins also get black to them and his colors really stand out compared to the others in the tank. The other "timid" males will lose their color. It must be that the alpha male shows the color and the lesser males, not wanting a fight, lighten in color.

I put 3 GBR fry in the tank recently and the little male I put in there displayed much more color in the 10 gallon tank than he displays now in the 55 with the alpha male and the other adults. Interestingly enough, one of the two younger females that I placed in the 55 has gotten a DEEP pink belly instead of her still obviously pink stomach. If I am lucky she will pair with the younger male. Color seems to play a large role in fish behavior not only letting others know who is in charge, but also who is ready to mate.

Back
Top Bottom