New Gup-maniac

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mona67401

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Greetings from Kansas! I am new to this forum and am here to tell you, I will probably drive you all crazy with gup questions. Just when I think I am smooth sailing, another problem arises. My latest and most worrisome problems pertains to my very first batch of fry, three weeks old. I would've never guessed I could become so obsessed with the well-being of a bunch of teeny tiny fish! In spite of one go-round with a bout of ich, they have been doing quite well, eating like maniacs SEVERAL times daily, growing steadily. Then this morning when I went to feed them, they all had red gills and were acting lethargic. OH MAN, NOT MY BABIES!!! :cry: I just did a water change (50%) yesterday, new filter, a little aquarium salt, so I wouldn't think high ammonia?!! So I increased the filtration level on the filter gizmo and now, a few hours later, they do look better and are eating like their normal piggish selves. :?: :?: :?: Any ideas?

Thanks - that should be a very useful website to have bookmarked, appreciate your help...

:smilecolros: Welcome to AA, mona!! :n00b:

Changing the filter is not the answer. You have eliminated much of your good bacteria from the system.
Please provide your water parameters (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate). If you do not have liquid test kits at home, I highly encourage you to get some!

Okay, I admit, I have been too cheap to buy all the test kits :oops: what with all the start-up costs ; tanks, filters, food, etc. And actually, I put a new filter in cuz I had removed the old one to treat them for ich (success) and I didn't think I should put the old one back in. And on that topic, how SHOULD I maintain filter cartridges? I have read some about just rinsing them (?-tap water?) and putting back in?!! IF this is proper practice, how often? I have a book coming "Proper Care of Guppies" by Stan Shubel - I understand he is a long-standing authority on the topic. I do appreciate any suggestions you have (besides buying test kits - will put that on my list of priorities). My son and I are really enjoying our new hobby, albeit somewhat frustrating having to learn from our mistakes (casualties :cry: ). Eventually, I hope to have several tanks, including a sick tank so as to be better able to manage our fish population. Thanks again...Mona

At the very least bring a water sample to your LFS and have them test it for free. Write down the actual numbers, don't just let them tell you "fine" or "dangerous." You can rinse filter pads in used tank water when you do PWC when the flow in the filter is reduced. I rinse them once every month or so.
If you run into an ich problem again, read the article on FW ich in the articles section and treat naturally with heat and salt.
I believe your fish problems are linked to water problems and not disease. Ammonia or nitrite poisoning will cause red gills. Put in some aquarium salt (if it is nitrite poisoning, salt will help) ~1 TBSP.

Mona67401 welcome to Aquarium Advice.
You said that you was feeding your lttle babies several times a day and then they had read gills and where gasping at the top.
Well firstly i aggree with Menagerie, BAD move changing your filter and secondly i think that you might be over feeding. With the break down of bacteria from your filter change and the waste you are getting from there food you have probably increased you Nitrates which has made there gills sore and they cant take the oxygen.
cheak your water parameters and let us know what they are ie...Ammonia, Nitrites, Nitrates.

Okey dokey - will do testing & post test results tomorrow. And just to clarify, I took the old filter out probably a week ago to treat for ich, got rid of that and then put a new filter in yesterday. As far as feeding frequently, I guess I had read a lot of stuff on different websites that you should feed often in the first month of life to encourage growth - ? I tried to make sure I was doing frequent PWC to offset any food waste, although they seemed to be eating most of what I was feeding them. Gee, this is a fine art, isn't it - never fear, I won't give up! I appreciate your helps and will give you kudos when I figure out how that works. I'm not sure I have any to give as a newbie...later, Mona

Thank you for your response earlier today re: gup fry w/red gills. Had my water tested - sorry, didn't get the numbers but he showed me on the color sheets where each tested out - nitrates/nitrites were great, ammonia was 4.0 !!!!!! He sold me some conditioner to knock it down and explained to me that when I treated for ich, I didn't need to remove the whole filter, just the charcoal - DUH! Sometimes ya gotta draw me a picture :) Live and learn...........hope my babies live, so far no casualties. Thanks, again! Mona

Don't use chemicals to "knock down" ammonia!!! The only chemical you add to the tank should be dechlorinator.
The natural way to reduce ammonia is watre changes. Your tank is recycling. You can read about the nitrogen cycle in the Articles Section. Do a 50% water change tonight and a 50% water change tomorrow. After that, you will need to do 20-30% water changes daily. Also, you must get your own test kits. Since the tank is recycling, you will need to keep on top of the water parameters and be ready to act (ie water changes).

Sorry, I hope I didn't come across to harsh!
Chemicals + tank = :tgv:

Keep things as natural as you can, especially with fry in there!

Well, I DID feel a little like I'd been spanked, but hey! Some like that sort of thing :taped: - OOPS! Did I say that?!! Seriously, one other question - does aging water remove ALL dangerous stuff or just the chlorine? I've been using bottled drinking water for all my PWC, but was wondering if I could just start doing the "let-tap-water-sit-for-a-couple-days" routine instead? And yeah, I do know to leave the lid off :wink: Thanks, Mona

Back
Top Bottom