New guy in town

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jimmy boy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just joined as I inherited a used 55-gallon tank. Have been YouTubing the heck out of the internet and am in the process of setting up. But not really started. I pretty much have my mind made up on filtration, heater, lighting, and thermometer. But always open to suggestions.
My first concern is substate as I believe that is the first thing that goes into the tank other than the water, of course. It will be a planted tank so the substate is important. I kinda like sand but I need to hear some pros and cons. Gravel is another possibility or some sort of plant growing substrate. Also open to suggestions.
Starting from scratch, I need everything, so the budget is not super tight, but a consideration.

Welcome to the community. Looking forward to seeing and hearing about what you are getting up to.

Substrate really depends on what you plan on keeping plant wise and fish wise. Also what you prefer visually.

If you plan on keeping anything that likes digging around in the substrate you dont want anything too sharp and abrasive. That will preclude "some" gravel substrates but not all. I keep corys with gravel just fine, but its a nice rounded gravel.

As to plants, if you plan on low demand "easy" plants then the type of substrate doesnt really matter. Sand or gravel works just fine. Many of those low demand plants like anubias or java fern should just be attached to a rock or piece of driftwood and dont need substrate at all.

If you want to keep higher demand, "harder" plants you should consider a planted tank "dirt" type substrate. If you want to keep these types of plants you may want to consider higher specification lighting and injected CO2 as well.

You mention youtube. Here is a video from my favourite youtuber going through some substrate options pros and cons etc.

Substrates

Thanks, Aiken. Excellent video by Big Al. I would love to watch many more. I really need to select a substrate soon so I can start my setup. I am looking to add driftwood for sure. Just came from a local store that had a ton of pieces as they just got a new shipment.
Angelfish will be certain and probably neon tetras for starters. Perhaps a Pleco or two.

Just joined as I inherited a used 55-gallon tank. Have been YouTubing the heck out of the internet and am in the process of setting up. But not really started. I pretty much have my mind made up on filtration, heater, lighting, and thermometer. But always open to suggestions.

My first concern is substate as I believe that is the first thing that goes into the tank other than the water, of course. It will be a planted tank so the substate is important. I kinda like sand but I need to hear some pros and cons. Gravel is another possibility or some sort of plant growing substrate. Also open to suggestions.

Starting from scratch, I need everything, so the budget is not super tight, but a consideration.
Hello, you mentioned you might use sand. I like using black diamond blasting sand. Its made from coal slag which is inert in water. Plus w/right deco & fish makes a tank pop.
A 50lb bag will run about 11$. It comes in sm, med & large grit. You want med(20-40 grit). Anything lighter will cloud & heaver will pack down. Some people use play sand(Tanish color)or pool filter sand(whitish) which are economical too. If you purchase from pet shop a 20lb bag aquarium sand can cost about 20$+. Hope this helps(you're wallet)!!!!!Screenshot_20220602-151112.jpgScreenshot_20220602-152511.jpgScreenshot_20220602-151333.jpg

Substrate

Hi M.J.!
Is that the black diamond blasting sand, medium grit in the aquarium image with the fish? If so, it looks great. But how is it with live plants??

Thanks, Aiken. Excellent video by Big Al. I would love to watch many more. I really need to select a substrate soon so I can start my setup. I am looking to add driftwood for sure. Just came from a local store that had a ton of pieces as they just got a new shipment.
Angelfish will be certain and probably neon tetras for starters. Perhaps a Pleco or two.

You mentioned keeping Plecos. I would only suggest getting one. You might be able to get away with another but only if it is a female. You should never keep multiple male Plecos together. If you are going to get Plecos, get bristlenoses, they only grow to about 5 inches while pretty much any other Pleco species grows to be around 2 feet.

Hi M.J.!

Is that the black diamond blasting sand, medium grit in the aquarium image with the fish? If so, it looks great. But how is it with live plants??
Yes pic is black diamond in my goldfish tank & just like using real sand you'll need root tabs or some other type of fert depending on plants you choose.
I've never had a fully planted tank but read that some use potting soil & then cap w/ sand or gravel.

Back
Top Bottom