New guy still struggling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoshsReef

Aquarium Advice Freak
I finally got my tank running ( no substrate or rock, just saltwater) i plan on cycling my tank and adding live rock this upcoming week. my question is about my seaclone protein skimmer. i have it running but have not noticed any foam or bubbles making it up to the collection cup. is this normal or should it be doing something up there right now

thanks

I would turn off the skimmer for now. Skimmers are desiged to remove DOC from the water. At this point in time you do nothave any so you will not see any collection in the cup. Once the tank is cycled and you have added some livestock you will likely see some skimmer production.

ok, when i turn it off will the water start to drain of the unit. it is a rather large unit so im sure there is a few gallons of water in there. if it does not drain out on its own what am i supposed to do when the time comes to clean it. thanks for your help

I would drain the entire unit and remove it for now. With no LR, LS or live stock it serves no purpose. Do not concern yourself with it for now.

JoshsReef said:
I finally got my tank running ( no substrate or rock, just saltwater) i plan on cycling my tank and adding live rock this upcoming week. ...

Maybe I missed it in another post somewhere, but what do have for biological filtration? Your bacteria that you'll establish when you cycle need a place to live, and without substrate or live rock, they won't have that. They don't live primarily in the water.

Most folks cycle with their live rock and sand in place, so that the bacteria will take up residence there. Otherwise, you'll need some type of wet/dry filter, or a biowheel, or something like that.

i am adding 90 pounds of live rock on wend. when that cures i am going to add 40 pounds of sand as substrate. i also have an emperor 400 with 2 biowheels. how do i drain my protein skimmer

thanks

JoshsReef said:
i am adding 90 pounds of live rock on wend. when that cures i am going to add 40 pounds of sand as substrate. i also have an emperor 400 with 2 biowheels. how do i drain my protein skimmer

thanks

Oh... sorry - misread your post. I thought you were cycling your tank without the rock.

When you get your LR and sand go ahead and cycle your tank and cure your LR at the same time in your tank.

I agree with Melosu! Add the LR and sand and let the die off from the LR help jump start your cycle. Make sure not to add any fish until your cycle is complete!

Back
Top Bottom