New guy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

denster

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, I am new to the forum and have never done this before so if I mess something up, please let me know. My name is Denny and I have a freshwater 46 gallon bowfront that I have recently stocked. I have 2 pearl gouramis(my favorite), 2 powder blue dwarfs, 5 bronze cories and 6 priscella tetras and all is well after 2 weeks. I still would like to add 1 more pearl, a bristlenose pleco and maybe 6 harlequin rasboras. Would that be too much? I'm running and XP3 with a hydor inline heater and a Rena 300 air pump with about a 4" airstone. Any advice or suggestions welcome and appreciated:))

Thanks,

Denster

Welcome to AA!

I don't think you cycled your tank prior to adding fish, so please peruse the forums and get some information. There's a link in my signature to the nitrogen cycle that I highly recommend you read. You'll need to get an adequate test kit and control your parameters with water changes until your tank cycles, or you risk losing some of all of your fish while your tank cycles. Please don't add any more fish until your cycle is done.

That being said, I have a very similiar setup myself, and think after your cycle you would be okay to add the extra fish you were asking about.

welcometoaa.gif

I definitely agree with neilanh, before you go about adding more fish you need to finish cycling with the fish you have. If you can't invest in a liquid test kit [api freshwater master kit] then I suggest get some jungle test strips to keep an eye on the basic things that need to be watched [mainly ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte.] Good luck with you tank and Welcome to AA! I'm looking forward to hearing much about you success in the aquarium hobby!!

Welcome to a fantastic site to get information. And don't worry about doing something wrong - all of us here had to learn about forums at some point in time. I agree with everyone else, check out the material on cycling a tank before you start adding more fish. The question you asked about how many fish can be added to a tank should be placed in the freshwater forums. I say this because not every member checks the Welcome Forum and you would be short changing yourself for the full benefits of knowledge this site has to offer. Make sure you tell us aside from the size of the tank, what filtration is in place, pumps, water parameters, etc.
But for a quick answer, there use to be a rule - 1 inch of fish for every gallon of water present in the tank (the 1 inch should be estimated on the fishes expected adult mature size). :bowl:

Thanks for the Welcome

I have a 46 gallon bowfront that I did a fishless cycle and started stocking about 2 weeks ago. Ammonia = 0 Nitrites = 0 Nitrates = 50(5) and my PH is 7.8 with a KH of 12. I have hard water where I'm at and I run part of my water through a tap water conditioner and everything is good and stable.
I have a Rena XP3 using the spraybar and a Hydor 201 inline heater. Also running a Rena 300 air pump with an airstone. I have artificial plants with some floating ones and some small caves and such. My current stock is as follows: 2 Pearl Gouramis(females I think) 2- Powder blues, 6-Pristella tetras, 5 bronze cories. I'm going to add a Bristlenose pleco this weekend and would like to get 6-8 Harlequin Rasboras after that. I've been doing 10-15% water changes per week and just did one last night. Do you think the Rasboras would crowd things? I'd also like to get 1 more Pearl G.
Denny

welcome to AA most of us here do 50 % water changes that would be the only thing that I would suggest It really can make a difference when you are fully stocked between sick and uhealthy fish and healthy and happy fish.

Back
Top Bottom