New Here - new 55 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbk001

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Howdy all!

My name is Ryan. I am new to this site, but not so new to fish and aquariums, although it has been a couple of years since my last aquarium. I will be picking up a 55gal and stand for $150 tomorrow. I am wanting to build up a cichlid tank and caught my eye on blood red parrot fish. So I am wanting to build a setup around 1 or maybe 2 of those. Any suggestions for compatible mates is welcome! I am also thinking of a fluval 305 or 405, depending on available funding :eyes:.

My previous tank was a 29 gal which hasn't been filled for several years. Had a school of tiger barbs and other community fish. I've always used my snake gravel vacuum for cleaning and water changes, but we just moved into a new home and it came with a fancy faucet which is not compatible to the coupler. You guys have any tips or tricks for cleaning your tanks without the luxury of a faucet/sink?

Any suggestions/comments are always welcome!
Thanks!

welcometoaa.gif

Welcome to AA :)

Can you find an attachment at your hardware store that can fit your sink end and cleaner end? I know I have a few different plastic fitting to use for hooking our python up to the shower. Different connections in the shower than the sinks.

welcome to the site! for my tanks i use a gravel vac and it sucks the water into a bucket then i dump the bucket in my sink. so you can try that.

Welcome to AA!

My basement, when I moved in, had one of those fancy faucets in the bathroom down here. I just went to the hardware store and bought a cheap-o faucet that did have the connection I need. They install quickly.

Welcome to AA :)

Can you find an attachment at your hardware store that can fit your sink end and cleaner end? I know I have a few different plastic fitting to use for hooking our python up to the shower. Different connections in the shower than the sinks.

I need to play around with the fitting, im sure there is a way. Just doesnt look like a bunch of room.

Welcome to AA!

My basement, when I moved in, had one of those fancy faucets in the bathroom down here. I just went to the hardware store and bought a cheap-o faucet that did have the connection I need. They install quickly.

Not sure my better half would be pleased with me for switching them out, lol, im trying to ease her into the aquarium frenzy.

Welcome to AA. As far as tankmates go, a 55g isn't a lot of room. You could maybe go with a pair of bloodparrots, but that doesn't leave you room for much else. You could get a small school of rainbow tetras with some bristlenose plecos and maybe a school of cory cats for clean up

Back
Top Bottom