New Here.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blp1884

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi y'all

My name's Brandon. I'ma brand new aquarium hobbyist. A friend of mine recently gave me a 20g tank. I just started my fish-less cycle yesterday and look forward to learning more about this hobby.

Thanks

Hi y'all

My name's Brandon. I'ma brand new aquarium hobbyist. A friend of mine recently gave me a 20g tank. I just started my fish-less cycle yesterday and look forward to learning more about this hobby.

Thanks

What filter and heater are you using?
What's your lighting? What substrate?
What kind of fish are you going to put in it?

Maybe
honey_gour_male_100718c2_w0480.jpg
X1

neon_tetra_3.jpg
x8-10

bristlenose-pleco.jpg
x1

some nice rocks, driftwood, a couple of anubias or java fern, and some floating hornwort in the corner for the gourami to make a bubble nest. Would be awesome.

So far I have some micro sword, amazon sword, and java fern in there along with some rocks to add to it. I've got a nice piece of driftwood curing now. I have a Theo 100w Heater with Eco-complete substrate and an AC50 filter. I was planning on adding a community type fish, maybe 2 other fish of the same type and maybe an algae eating type fish to help keep the tank clean. I haven't picked out specific fish yet and am open to suggestions.

About the lighting. I've done some light reading regarding this and am not 100% sure my current lighting is enough. I've posted a question over in the planted aquarium section but haven't had a response yet. I currently have 1 aqueon colormax 15 w fluorescent 18" bulb with reflector. I'm going to the store today, local aquarium not a chain store and talk to them about it too. However I'd love to hear your opinions and advice.

Thanks for the questions and if you need any more information let me know.

Last edited:
So far I have some micro sword, amazon sword, and java fern in there along with some rocks to add to it. I've got a nice piece of driftwood curing now. I have a Theo 100w Heater with Eco-complete substrate and an AC50 filter. I was planning on adding a community type fish, maybe 2 other fish of the same type and maybe an algae eating type fish to help keep the tank clean. I haven't picked out specific fish yet and am open to suggestions.

About the lighting. I've done some light reading regarding this and am not 100% sure my current lighting is enough. I've posted a question over in the planted aquarium section but haven't had a response yet. I currently have 1 aqueon colormax 15 w fluorescent 18" bulb with reflector. I'm going to the store today, local aquarium not a chain store and talk to them about it too. However I'd love to hear your opinions and advice.

Thanks for the questions and if you need any more information let me know.

Ya you don't have enough light for those plants. Realistically, co2 addition would be nice too.

What you need to do is get better lighting, like a dual strip setup, and then switch to low light plants that don't need co2. Plants like anubias and java fern. They both need to be tied down to rocks or driftwood until their roots grab on to it. Do no bury the roots.

Also, as far as the algae eating fish to "keep the tank clean", the amount of algae you're likely to get long term vs the amount of algae one algae eating fish that fits in that tank is going to eat doesn't match up. You'll always have way more algae than the fish is interested in eating, as well as different types of algae that the fish doesn't want to eat. Nothing beats wiping the algae off the glass yourself.

There are lots of options in terms of what fish you can keep in a 20G. I would keep more than 3 fish as you mentioned. Makes for a more interesting tank IMO to keep say 7 small fish vs 2 larger fish. That's just me though. I strongly suggest that you get a gourami. They're very interesting to watch. Particularly honey gouramis in my experience. Again though, that's just my preferences.

If you are going to get a gourami, get a small bundle of the floating plant "Hornwort" and float it in the back corner of the tank so he can make a bubblenest. It's fun to watch.

Welcome!

So far I have some micro sword, amazon sword, and java fern in there along with some rocks to add to it. I've got a nice piece of driftwood curing now. I have a Theo 100w Heater with Eco-complete substrate and an AC50 filter.

Sounds like a good start, just make sure the rocks are inert (or at least contributing to the pH you're looking for)

I currently have 1 aqueon colormax 15 w fluorescent 18" bulb with reflector.
Is this the T8 or T5 version? While the java fern doesn't really need any light, the swords will benefit from at least 2 T5s. Swords are also heavy root feeders, so keep that in mind, too.

Thanks for the help so far. Would 2 T5's be two much for a 20 gallon tank and lead to too much alagae production. Also, what about aqueon modular 24" led lighting for the plants that I have?

The bulb is the T8 version.

I've posted a lighting question in the planted tank section but have yet to recieve a response.

Ya the rocks came from my friends established aquarium.

Also, trying to figure out the amount of lighting and type of lighting etc has been my biggest question so far, I really need help there.

I do plan to do a DIY CO2. But not real sure on the best way to deliver the CO2 from the bottle to the tank. Any suggestions there would be great.

Back
Top Bottom