New here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chaotic_reefer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I'm new to this app, been reefing for about 5 years, currently just have one 65 gallon bow front reef tank, I'm not very knowledgeable on lighting but have been doing research on the best type of lighting for my coral, I've read that I want a bulb around 10k-15k "cool color" I figured I could get a couple of fixtures and hang them above the tank with those lights, and possibly have a secondary actinic for night, can anyone give me there opinion or advice on this, I'm trying not to spend 500 on one of the nice led fixtures made for this, any opinions are very appreciated, thank you.

Also I have a plastic brace along the center on my tank that goes from the front to the back, I obviously don't want to remove that, any advice on how to get around melting that thing would be great also.

Hi I'm new to this app, been reefing for about 5 years, currently just have one 65 gallon bow front reef tank, I'm not very knowledgeable on lighting but have been doing research on the best type of lighting for my coral, I've read that I want a bulb around 10k-15k "cool color" I figured I could get a couple of fixtures and hang them above the tank with those lights, and possibly have a secondary actinic for night, can anyone give me there opinion or advice on this, I'm trying not to spend 500 on one of the nice led fixtures made for this, any opinions are very appreciated, thank you.

Also I have a plastic brace along the center on my tank that goes from the front to the back, I obviously don't want to remove that, any advice on how to get around melting that thing would be great also.

welcome to the forum glad you found us (y)
I have a center brace on my 90g never had a problem melting the brace ,
I also no longer use florescent bulbs , most reefers switched over to LEDS
a lot use what is known as tao tronics or the cheaper Chinese version ,
I have these and can't say nothing but good things about them and they are very affordable , I'm on my second set after 6 years is about the average life . as long as you maintain the lights keeping them clean also blowing out all the dust from the fans so they run more efficient they should last you a long time .
most of us use either mars hydro which I love , or the galaxy hydro very similar and just as good of a light . mine paid for themselves many times over both lights are also dimmable
mars hydro leds

Last edited:
I found two galaxy hydros for 100 each on Amazon "the cheaper Chinese version" I think, do you think 2 would be over kill for a 65 gallon tank that is 24 in tall, I figured I'd get two unless of course you think that is too much light for simple Cora like mushrooms and anemones, nothing too difficult in my tank, all beginner stuff lol

Back
Top Bottom