New inhabitants on the way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveMc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just completed my first purchase from saltwaterfish.com. They had a sale going with free fedex shipping so I had some fun :lol: Picked up the following....

• Hammer Coral Frag
  • Blue Snowflake Polyps
  • Candy Cane Frag
  • Assorted Zoos 10-15 Polyps
  • Porcelain Crab
  • Feather Duster
  • Nasssarius Snail - 2
  • Marine Snow
  • Chaeto
  • Hermit crab shells
  • Marine Snow

Already excited about the order coming in lol.

What's marine snow?

Coral Food. when I fed my Firefish today some mysis shrimp I noticed the polys grabbed some of the shrimp and chowed down lol. Read some information on the marine snow and a lot of the things I read said it is great for corals.

Coral Food. when I fed my Firefish today some mysis shrimp I noticed the polys grabbed some of the shrimp and chowed down lol. Read some information on the marine snow and a lot of the things I read said it is great for corals.

Ok. Cool. I'll look into that!

Very cool. Hopefully you get some nice corals. Can't wait to see!

Thanks Joe :) They should be here no later than thursday, missed the deadline for tomorrow :facepalm: Will post the pics in my build thread once they are in.

Beware the snowflakes lol. I have a purple variety and they've literally taken over my tank. They're everywhere literally!

Beware the snowflakes lol. I have a purple variety and they've literally taken over my tank. They're everywhere literally!

Really! OMG.....I didn't think they would do that. Are they related to the Kenya trees?

No they're really small. I mean they're very pretty and don't really hurt anything. They just grow everywhere!

No they're really small. I mean they're very pretty and don't really hurt anything. They just grow everywhere!

They are pretty, that's what caught my eye was the color lol. Well, if they multiply that quick maybe I can sell some to the LFS lol.

To drip or not to drip?

I am waiting for my new corals to arrive today and a questions came to mind. The site I ordered them from says to Temperature Acclimate them only. I have never heard of this, I always thought the drip method was best.

Should I go by what the site is saying or drip?

Honestly I'd check their salinity and yours. If they're super close you can just float the bag the corals are in to temp acclimate them. A drip never hurts though.

Thanks guy's. Good idea with checking the salinity first. If it is close then I will to the temp acclimate and go from there. If not will drip. :)

Sounds good. I always just float, dip and throw them in. Fish I drip acclimate though

Sounds good. I always just float, dip and throw them in. Fish I drip acclimate though

that was the first time I seen to just temp acclimate. I guess all online shops are different though lol.

I noticed that with the candy cane I got coming it say to put it in higher flow and higher light. Would it be best to place it closer to the top of my rock where it is closer to the light and the power head?

With coral usually the salinities are the same as we tend to keep our tanks since corals require that. However fish can be kept in hypo and this a drip is usually necessary. I'd put the candy cane in the bottom to middle. It's definitely not a high light coral

With coral usually the salinities are the same as we tend to keep our tanks since corals require that. However fish can be kept in hypo and this a drip is usually necessary. I'd put the candy cane in the bottom to middle. It's definitely not a high light coral

Awesome. With my firefish, crabs, snail and polyps I have now I drip them all. this will make things much easier now.

Thanks for the input on the candy cane. Was a little shocked about the lighting on the site since it wasn't a SPS, I know they require higher lighting. Still looking at a PAR 38 for this tank until I do mu upgrade.

Back
Top Bottom