new lighting idea, tell me what ya think

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tropicfishman

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok this is for those custom lighting needs: ok what i would like to do is take a plastic electrical box and put a dimmer switch and face plate in it, out of one end have a cord with a plug for the wall outlet on it, on the other have a plug in. plug the box thing in the wall, and the lights into the other end coming out from the dimmer switch, wouldn't this make a neat dimmer for your lgihting???? you could make one fo reach light or some how wire up one to control all them or something, how would it work for flourescent, would it dim them or justy turn them off?

really? anything that you know of that would work, I just think it would be cool to have a sun rise to sunset effect on a tank then have the moonlighting kick in and fade back out at morning, Iono if it can be done but it would be awesome if it can

but you can use multiple small lights in differing temperatures to get the effect you are looking for.

cabezon said:
but you can use multiple small lights in differing temperatures to get the effect you are looking for.

Yep.......My schedule goes like this:

6am my 18w comes on.
9am my 96w fixture comes on.
10am two of the 96w bulbs in my 384w fixture comes on.
11am the other two 96w bulbs come on.
2pm two 96w bulbs shut off.
6pm my 96w fixture shuts off.
9:30pm the other two 96w bulbs shut off.
11pm the 18w shuts off and my moon lights come on.

Confused? 8O

You could go one easier and build a fixture that has 6-8 bulbs in it. Wire the bulbs so they come on in pairs. Start with the front bulbs coming on first, then the next bank, and so on. Then the front one turn off, then the next ones, etc. Sunrise to sunset with the moonlights on a seperate timer and maybe even 2 banks of moonlights, one in front and one in back coming on before the front bank and the back ones coming on just before the last bank of lights go out.

Back
Top Bottom