New low light rescape planning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
As some of you may know, I'll be converting my tank over from high light to low light. Instead of clogging up my tank thread with planning for the new scape, I'd rather have another thread to not distract from my tank's current state. My tank will be focused around Cryptocoryne (some unusual and rare kinds!), Anubias, driftwood, and the corner Java Fern piece. Here's what I've come up with:

Lighting: 1 Finnex Planted+ 24/7 (will be dimmed)

Other Equipment Changes: I will be swapping out my powerhead for the Eheim Skim350. Overall flow will be reduced, but 180-200 GPH of flow should be fine since lighting won't be intense; the flow will be a solid medium. My slower swimming fish will appreciate this (Honey Gourami). CO2 may be reduced a tinge depending on when I hit a balance with the tank.

Plants (a * indicates this plant will definitely be in the scape):

Foreground: DHG*, Marsilea minuta*, S. repens*

Midground: Red Tiger Lotus, Anubias nana*, Anubias nana 'petite'*, Anubias nana gold*, Anubias barteri, Anubias 'round leaf'*, Anubias coffeefolia*, Lobelia cardinalis, Crypt sp. 'Flamingo', Crypt wendtii 'bronze'*, Crypt wendtii 'Mi Oya'*, Crypt wendtii 'Green Gecko'*, Crypt nurii*, Crypt Metallic Affinis Red*, Crypt pontederiifolia, Crypt cordata 'Rosanervig', Driftwood* IF YOU KNOW OF ANY COOL-LOOKING CRYPTS AND ANUBIAS THAT I DIDN'T LIST, TELL ME ?

Background: Cyperus helferi*, Driftwood with Java Fern and Christmas Moss* (I may put a different Java Fern on this driftwood)*, Crinum calamistratum*, I need more ideas...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The Florida sunset crypt is one of my favorites idk if you consider it rare though, never seen it personally for sale anywhere

The Florida sunset crypt is one of my favorites idk if you consider it rare though, never seen it personally for sale anywhere

Nice! I forgot about that one. I've seen it for sale on Peabody's Paradise before for $10. I might give it a shot if I see it for sale.

Nice! I forgot about that one. I've seen it for sale on Peabody's Paradise before for $10. I might give it a shot if I see it for sale.

Is that a online store? I live in Florida but ironically I can't find the Florida sunset crypt

I'm super excited to see this once it's all planted up, crypts are by far my favorite plant

Is that a online store? I live in Florida but ironically I can't find the Florida sunset crypt

I'm super excited to see this once it's all planted up, crypts are by far my favorite plant

Yes, it's an online store with great plants. I've picked up crypt undulata (forgot to list that one) from there. It is greenish for the most part with some red and grows a bit taller than the wendtii.

Yes, it's an online store with great plants. I've picked up crypt undulata (forgot to list that one) from there. It is greenish for the most part with some red and grows a bit taller than the wendtii.

I have a ton of it that i have grown out from a little pot from a lfs down here
It's another of my favorite, if you are willing to wait on it I'll probably have enough to send you about ten to fifteen stems in about another month if your interested

I'm usually having to throw it out but I have started sending it to people off here

I'm excited too. Maybe a little bit more than I was setting up the tank up with CO2 last December actually. This should be fun!

Han Aquatics has ideii and some others, never had issues with anything I've purchased from him.

Cryptocoryne

Thanks for the heads up! I'm thinking I'll get one expensive crypt ($25 or so), two medium priced ones ($10-20), and the rest will be cheaper (still colorful and unique) ones.

I still haven't decided on whether or not I'm going to keep my current Java Fern or not. I sort of have an attachment to it; it has been with me since I started this planted tank up. Although, I think Windelov Java Fern would look better.

Do you guys have any suggestions for background plants? I know I'll be getting Crinum calamistratum and will be keeping my Cyperus helferi. I thought about Swords, but I know from experience that they can take over my tank.

Thanks for the heads up! I'm thinking I'll get one expensive crypt ($25 or so), two medium priced ones ($10-20), and the rest will be cheaper (still colorful and unique) ones.

I still haven't decided on whether or not I'm going to keep my current Java Fern or not. I sort of have an attachment to it; it has been with me since I started this planted tank up. Although, I think Windelov Java Fern would look better.

Do you guys have any suggestions for background plants? I know I'll be getting Crinum calamistratum and will be keeping my Cyperus helferi. I thought about Swords, but I know from experience that they can take over my tank.

Have you had any experience with the trident variety?

Have you had any experience with the trident variety?

I have not actually. I'll have to look into that variety too.

I have not actually. I'll have to look into that variety too.

I think it's by far the coolest looking one I have seen, unfortunately I have only seen it on dustinsfishtanks for 25 a plant

I think it's by far the coolest looking one I have seen, unfortunately I have only seen it on dustinsfishtanks for 25 a plant

If I'd decide to get this plant, I bet I'd be able to get it on here or TPT more cheaply.

Also, I'll be adding Red Tiger Lotus to the scape. It should make for a nice contrast plant. I also have Corkscrew Val on the radar.

If I'd decide to get this plant, I bet I'd be able to get it on here or TPT more cheaply.

Also, I'll be adding Red Tiger Lotus to the scape. It should make for a nice contrast plant. I also have Corkscrew Val on the radar.

Red tiger lotus is an amazing looking plant

Unfortunately I believe it falls outside my skill level

Red tiger lotus is an amazing looking plant

Unfortunately I believe it falls outside my skill level

I'm sure you'd be able to grow it. It doesn't look like it is that hard to grow.

I have some new background plant ideas for the scape. Add Tiger Val/Corkscrew Val and Water Wisteria to the list. I think once I have a hardscape plan in place, it will be much easier to choose the plants.

I'm sure you'd be able to grow it. It doesn't look like it is that hard to grow.

I have some new background plant ideas for the scape. Add Tiger Val/Corkscrew Val and Water Wisteria to the list. I think once I have a hardscape plan in place, it will be much easier to choose the plants.

+1 on wisteria, I love a fast growing background plant

Oh, and I might actually get some swords for the tank. I was thinking that I could put a couple Red Flame or Ozelot Swords in the right corner. I believe that it would look better aesthetically that way. I could put a big piece of driftwood that has Anubias and some other plants on it in front of/next to the Swords. I could then move the DW w/ Java Fern to the left side, unattach the Java Fern, and then attach a more unique Java Fern to that driftwood. Crypts could make up the middle of the tank, while a big Crinum calamistratum could be slightly off center. I'm start to get scape visions haha!

Oh, and I might actually get some swords for the tank. I was thinking that I could put a couple Red Flame or Ozelot Swords in the right corner. I believe that it would look better aesthetically that way. I could put a big piece of driftwood that has Anubias and some other plants on it in front of/next to the Swords. I could then move the DW w/ Java Fern to the left side, unattach the Java Fern, and then attach a more unique Java Fern to that driftwood. Crypts could make up the middle of the tank, while a big Crinum calamistratum could be slightly off center. I'm start to get scape visions haha!

Red flame swords are awesome, get a little red in the tank for you as well,
Get you some crypt undulata red in there and you can have some nice colors in there,

I'm not huge Anubis fan personally though, all of mine end up with black algae on the leaves

Red flame swords are awesome, get a little red in the tank for you as well,
Get you some crypt undulata red in there and you can have some nice colors in there,

I'm not huge Anubis fan personally though, all of mine end up with black algae on the leaves

When I had Crypt undulata in my current setup, it didn't grow as nicely--too fast and an algae magnet. If I'd get it for the rescape, I feel like it would do better in lower light--like Anubias. We'll see. Lots of crypts and Anubias to choose from! I think my tank is going to have a more harmonious effect with lower lighting.

When I had Crypt undulata in my current setup, it didn't grow as nicely--too fast and an algae magnet. If I'd get it for the rescape, I feel like it would do better in lower light--like Anubias. We'll see. Lots of crypts and Anubias to choose from! I think my tank is going to have a more harmonious effect with lower lighting.

I like the lower light low tech set ups more personally

I have a planted plus over my ten now, had it on there for about two months

No algae issues and a little bit faster plant growth

The high tech setups seem like driving a Porsche drunk on a mountain road, fun for some people but not for me

I forgot to ask you, are you going to be dirting this tank?

Back
Top Bottom