New Marine Aquarium Setup What Does Everyone Think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasonanatal

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone, since I recently got into the Marine Aquarium scene and completely jumped over the Freshwater Aquarium I have moved from a 29 Gallon Tank to a 55 Gallon Tank. I only want the best for my little wet friends and am currently building what I consider my dream tank. Here is what I have accomplished so far and would like to know if anyone thinks that I'm overdoing it a bit. I still have plenty to go when it comes to this tank.

What's Inside The 55 Gallon Tank?

-Marineland Emperor 400 Bio-wheel H.O.T. Power Filter
-Marineland Emperor 280 Bio-wheel H.O.T. Power Filter
-Fluval 304 Canister Filter
-Marineland Penguin 1140 Powerhead (2x attached to an undergravel filter)
-Aquarium Systems Seaclone 150 Protein Skimmer
-Marineland Stealth 250 watt Aquarium Heater
-15 Watt Marine-Glo Flourescent Lights (2x I will be upgrading the lighting fixture around Christmas and also will incorporate moonlight)
-30 lbs. of Arogonite Florida Gravel
-1 1/2 lbs. of Premium Fiji Live Rock (I will be purchasing more as soon as money is available)

What's Inside The (2x) 10 Gallon Quarentine Tanks?
-Marineland Penguin 100 H.O.T. Power Filter
-Marineland Stealth 50 watt Aquarium Heater

That sounds pretty nice. But if you haven't already purchased the seaclone skimmer i'd prob go w/ a diff. brand. Seaclones from what I've read are ok but you mess w/ the settings a lot. If you need a good hang on back skimmer I went w/ a coralife super skimmer. They have 3 diff. sizes. 65gal, 125 gal and 220 gal. I love mine and it's very easy to service. I would also go w/ another power head if you don't think it's too much clutter inside the tank. The pengium PH u have I believe is rated for 300 gph. I'd add one more , I would at least go w/ 10x the flow of your tank. If you need to squeeze that extra PH in you could ditch the little HOB filter and just get a big cannister filter w/ the 400 HOB.

Just my opinion. Sounds like you're going to have a nice set up. And also to save you hassle on maintenance get as much live rock as you can squeeze in that tank and still have swimming room for your stock.

Have fun!

I have the seaclone 100, and at least once a week I have to adjust it. If you haven't bought it yet; spend a little more to get something a little more stable.

I already have all this equipment setup and its working wonderfully with minimal adjustments. I will post a photograph tonight so you can all view it. Also this setup has pleased me very much. I have checked my water conditions and everything is needless to say..... perfect. Even with my messy eaters. I own a Volitan Lionfish named Chimara and a Starry Puffer named Poseidan.

I'd remove the undergravel filter too. They tend to disturb the under layers of your sand bed, which can break up your beneficial bacteria.

And like everyone else said, try to get a new protein skimmer. Seaclones are annoying.

Plus undergravel filters can be nitrate factories as well. Uneaten food and waste can slip underneath to decay raising your nitrate levels.

I would get rid of the undergravel system. Also you could get rid of all filtration except the skimmer. I took out the foam on my hagen HOB filter and filled it with about 5 lbs of LR.

I think going filterless with just a skimmer is the way to go IMO.

With no LR you should NOT get rid of the other filtration if you do you will have nothing except the gravel which is not going to be enough with those 2 large fish.
As you can see the UG filter is not the best way to go, before you get too far along with the tank I would take it out. If and when you add LR you will have a heck of a time trying to take the UG filter out.

You definately need 40-50lbs of LR, UG filters are not used anymore..they just nitrate factories.. get rid of it asap.. the LR will act as the biofiltration and you've got the skimmer so you'll be okay..

FYI.. those two fish will get too large for the 55gal, especially the lion who will hit full size in no time..

hth

Forgive me if I am mistaken, but the title of your thread seems to to be asking what people think of your set up...."New Aquarium Setup What Does Everyone Think?" :roll: You got what you asked for and it was sound advice. I agree with everyone else, ditch the UGF and get some LR. It is a much better form of biological filtration and will cause you less headaches down the road. I also suggest you consider LS instead of CC as a substrate. Less maintanance and it will not cause NO3 to rise over time. This is your tank and you may do with it as you choose. However, if you are not even willing to take the advice you ask for into consideration then stop asking the questions. I do wish you success in your setup.

Jasonanatal said:
I'm not going to get rid of any of my Filtration. My water quality is perfect so I wouldn't even consider this.

The tank has only been running a few weeks / month right? This is why the water is "perfect" We are all looking at the big picture and what will happen months down the road. you may get a year out of the UG filter before you start seeing the effects of the waste build up under that filter.
Again if you don't want to hear the answer don't ask the question.
Good luck with all this big fishies..

Well you definately need more LR since he just purchased a snowflake moray eel.. they will not survive the stress of a blank tank, they need rock to hide and the UGF will pose a problem because they are diggers!!!!

Get 2 660R Penguin powerheads for REVERSE flow on your UGF. Don't run it standard.......do reverse flow. 8)

Thank you for the advice guys. I will take all into consideration and will soon be preparing a 150 gallon tank two provide a new home for my little ones when the grow. I will definitely consider sand instead of Crushed Coral. I am also going to purchase more live rock for my tank next week.

Back
Top Bottom