new member , new tank , first cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodgy

Aquarium Advice Regular
hey everyone

Got given and 16 gallon tank by a friend and started to purchase and set everything up and just want to check im doing everything right and get some questions answered !

3 days ago I filled the tank with freshly cleaned gravel , fake and real plants , heater and filter and de chlorinated the water . tank is currently at 28 degrees Celsius ( 82 f) is this to hot ??

I purchased pure ammonia and added it 3 days ago and have been testing and dosing back up to 4.0ppm daily should I go higher ??

my ph was at 8.0 on day 1 but is now up to 8.2 is this normal during cycle??

and also with my tank having nothing in it, I have noticed a few snails crawling around which I never put in there and guessing they came on the plants is this normal and are they ok to keep in tank during cycle or even after ??

Have been testing api test kit...

sorry about all the questions any help would be great :):)

Good job!! You are starting out PERFECTLY :)

Temp is perfect. dose is fine. You can also use 2ppm as your dosing goal and your cycle will be less likely to stall (the #1 thing we help with in this here forum). 4ppm will definitely give you a bioload though to support your entire tank in one stocking, plus we can help you keep from stalling if you keep in frequent communication with us.

The snails hitchiked in on your plants. I would recommend picking them out and "disposing" of them or you will find they multiply very...very...fast.

Grats on your new tank, and welcome!

Hello,
Im gonna piggy back here on goody's post if no one minds. I'm still relatively new to forums and aquatics so please forgive my ignorance.
I have a newly set up 65 gallon tank(48x12.5x25), and I have a Ph level question for you all, ph level right out of tap is 7.2
I've been running my tank un-stocked (gravel/laterite, filters & heater only) for almost two weeks. After the first week of running it, I tested the water (ph 7.4). Yesterday I loaded it with plants (live/fake) some decorations & aquarium rock / rock caves. My ph level has shot up to 8.0-8.2 from last weeks test.?, did this happen because of the items I put in?, will it drop back to the tap water ph level or is this what I can expect it to remain? only asking so I know which fish this water will be ideal for because I may have to re-think my stocking plan, Thank you in advance for your help.:thanks:

thanks heaps threnjen & go ahead Skorpius
I have picked 3 out so far hopefully that is all of them , I will post results every few days or so to check everythings going all ok :)

Back
Top Bottom