New member seeking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raul Degas

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone, Raul from Annapolis, Md here. I have a 75 gallon bow front fresh water aquarium. I’ve kept a tank since moving into my home 16 years ago. I’m reaching out because i’ve become so frustrated over a problem I can’t seem to solve. Every time I do a water change, usually every 30 days, I lose a bunch of fish. Thinking it might be our well water, I switched to buying the 5 gallon water bottles from Home Depot 6 months ago, expensive and a pain, to no effect. I test the water frequently using the 6 in 1 test strips and a separate pH tester. PH is always near neutral, nitrites and nitrates in the safe zone, water soft, safe chlorine and relatively low alkalinity. Each water change, I change out about a third of the tank while vacuuming, add the prescribed amount of water conditioner, water clarifier and algae killer. Water temp is kept around 78.

The remaining fish seemed unaffected each water change. It’s A fairly wide variety of fish that I lose. Your typical fresh water, mollies, angels, loaches, even a pleco. The gouramis, tetras and cories seem resistant.

The die-offs are directly related to water changes as fish who are affected are done so within a day or two.

If anyone could help me solve my problem, I would be greatly appreciative. Willing to try anything.

Thank you,

Raul Nelson

Maybe you could try smaller and more frequent water changes , that way whatever it is won’t be noticeable to the fish so much ?

Do yo have a local fish store that will do tests in house? I would take a sample of your tap water, and tank water to each store nearby. If not that, get a liquid test kit. Strips can be unreliable.

Do the fish have any other symptoms? Ever treated for parasites?

Walk me through your water change routine, leave NO detail out please.

Thank you for your reply. I am not aware of any local fish supply store that will come to my home. I have taken a water sample to House of Tropicals, the leading store in the area. Test came back with nothing unusual. The fish that die don’t exhibit any visual body signs of parasites or wasting. They initially become listless and then pass within a day or so of water change. Aside for being dead, they look ok.

To change the water I use a Venturi style suction device hooked to bathroom faucet. I vacuum the gravel till approximately 1/5 of the tank is emptied. Using a space heater, I warm 15 gallons of store bought water before dumping it into the tank. I add the prescribed amount of API Accu-clear, Algaefix and Tap Water Conditiner. I usually test the water using test strips and get the results posted earlier. About every third cleaning I disassemble the filter cassette and clean using tap water. For years I used our tap water (well water) for tank changes and had the same problems. I went to bottled water hoping that would help..

I get that this is a vexing problem. Any help appreciated.

Raul

What is your filtration like? Age of filter? What tank decor do you have. Detailed information, from gravel type to fake decor.

Filtration is a Fluval, pictured. It is about 6 months old. Tank decor also pictured as well. Small River stones and plastic plants and structures.

Attachments

• trrlXqTYT3GW1E1PwDbP3w.jpg
    trrlXqTYT3GW1E1PwDbP3w.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Ls%tkzTFSReFjQySJw%Efg.jpg
    Ls%tkzTFSReFjQySJw%Efg.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 19
  • JHR949I1R6ycW+7K%J6%vw.jpg
    JHR949I1R6ycW+7K%J6%vw.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 17
My only guess with the information at hand is there is some toxic tank decor. Or... underlying parasites and stress? I am honestly at a loss. Do you treat your water before adding it, and how so?

All plants and decor are from an aquarium store, ie. designed for fish tanks. I don’t pre-treat the water in any way. I know this is a tough one. Thanks again.

Raul

Just because it comes from a fish store dosen't mean its safe!

Example : My first tank was a disaster. Will not go into the stocking (that the associates helped me with!), however I used the coated covered gravel. It was a lovely blue/green... and within a year he coating had came off, and it slowly poisoned my tank.

I am new to this site and looking for direction for my Mystery Snail who got out of his aquarium 2 nights ago and fell to the floor, braking off the 1/3 portion of his shell. I managed to reattach a portion of his shell using a few drops of crazy glue gel, but didn't give very much hope for his survival. His shell is about 1/3" shorter, causing his body to be partially exposed, so I placed him in a small fish bowl to keep the other fish from bothering him (Male Beta and 2 Cory Catfish). Should I continue to keep him separate, perhaps placing him in a new aquarium? It's also cold in the San Francisco area, so I need to get another heater for him. Any direction in keeping him alive?
I do have pictures. Thank you, Terri-Lyn

Back
Top Bottom