New member, with decent experience

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPG_97

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello internet fish keepers! I am from the tropics of Minnesota (...-7°F) I'm a high school student with too many hobbies to count, aquariums being one of the many. Currently I have a 49g freshwater tropical with 10lowlight tetras, 4neons (need to restock) 2 (m/f) red MM Molly's, 3bronze Corys, 1 blue dwarf gourami, and my prized fish (just a personal favorite) 1 two inch (about) golden dojo loach (or weather loach to you who know them as that) I have never had great luck with live plants, but I LOVE Marimo balls (have three) before this I've probably gone through about a dozen other tanks trying new things. I've loved fish since elementary school, so I've had plenty already! So my one question for right now is: I have a full PH test and correct set, ick medication, an water treatment, does anyone suggest any other chemicals or nonfiction related items? Thank you so much and I'm excited to be here!!!

Glad you are here!

Extra Prime water conditioner. It is always good to know your GH/KH. Can maybe get it done at a local fish store but online test kits are reasonably priced and it could come in handy.

Flake food with antibiotic and a flake with dewormer can also come in handy of you buy fish which are wild caught. Lfs or Peabody's Paradise has some for a good price.

And a tank or tote container for a Quarantine Tank aka QT. 2 fish nets, one for shooing and one for capturing.

A chop stick for poking around and pushing plants back into the substrate, or getting a dead fish out of a back corner fro behind a rock.

Glad you are here!

Extra Prime water conditioner. It is always good to know your GH/KH. Can maybe get it done at a local fish store but online test kits are reasonably priced and it could come in handy.

Flake food with antibiotic and a flake with dewormer can also come in handy of you buy fish which are wild caught. Lfs or Peabody's Paradise has some for a good price.

And a tank or tote container for a Quarantine Tank aka QT. 2 fish nets, one for shooing and one for capturing.

A chop stick for poking around and pushing plants back into the substrate, or getting a dead fish out of a back corner fro behind a rock.

Glad to find people like you on here! Thank you so much for the detailed list. I've already made a list and I'll be shopping online by tonight! Information was greatly appreciated!

You are too kind. Also just as a side note, it is difficult and probably expensive to keep on hand broad spectrum, gram negative or positive meds, so instead of having them in the closet and never needing them. Try to check around and see what lfs have these items on hand and which types, so in the event you need something you have the info to be able to go get it right away, for a quick resolution. Same for parts for filters or replacements for things you might need.

An extra heater and air pump (even an extra impeller/motor or filter even if it is a bit smaller than you would normally use) may come in handy as well. Recently I have had a few filter issues. Test your filter periodically by unplugging and waiting about 10 min and plugging back in to make sure it self prmes and restarts. That was I problem I have, power outages and pumps do not restart because they are wearing out (or can be because they are dirty).

Battery back up air pump with extra batteries, still one thing I keep forgetting to get.

All this stuff adds up in $!

Something I have done for awhile now is to keep a filter pad hiding behnd the rocks/DW so that there will be something seeded with BB available if I get a new fish or find a surprise new tank.

Sounds like you will fit right in here!!!

I have several extra air pumps and a decent extra filter. I would love to have a battery pack for my system but it realistically won't happen for quite awhile. As for the chemicals and filter parts, I'm going to plan on finding the stuff I need on Amazon prime and bookmark it, that way I can get it within two days and I should be good. Glad to know I'm not the only one who tends to write small novels in responses!!! And thank you again for all the Information and I'm excited to be here!

Back
Top Bottom