New nano for me!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bectan01

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi all, I have just set up a 10g nano and would love some advice. This is not my first salt tank - I have a 55g that's been up for over 2 years. I have put a internal filter on it for now (and filled it with live rock rubble) but I really wanted to run this without the lid (as seen in the pic) as I have ordered a par38 led to go on it and I like the look of open top, problem is, the filter is quite noisy, it's louder than my 55g! I wanted to keep it simple as there is not much room in the tank for anything. I was thinking just a heater and a power head? I run my 55g Berlin style and that has worked for me. I don't plan any fish in this tank, just reef and perhaps a few inverts. Thoughts?

Attachments

• image-3522724242.jpg
    image-3522724242.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 89
I have three nanos all successfully running without any filtration besides live rock, sand, and purigen/chemipure elite as needed. With nanos, water changes will be your best friend.

Great, thank you for your reply. I do 10% weekly on the 55 so will keep the same schedule for this one. Do you use a powerhead? If so, what kind? Because its quite a tall tank I am limited on space, I use tunze powerheads on the 55 but physically they are quite large. All the powerheads I see, even for nanos, are quite large. Was considering a hob refugium, any thoughts on that? I painted the back so can hide something external no problems...

Sure. Just google "nano powerhead" and you will get plenty of results. I think HOB fuges are great idea and you can even save some money by modding a HOB filter into one. The nice thing about such a small tank is that you can easily do a 30% water change just as easily as a 10%. I do waterchanges up to 50% on my 5g tank no problem whatsoever. Not only will this lower nitrates/phosphates, but you don't have to worry about dosing anything either if you have a bunch of coral.

Back
Top Bottom