New O.o

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks! I've decided these slimey, scaley pets might not be half bad, if they have appropriate living conditions. (And the nitrites are 1.0. The . is important! And my sponges are finally colonizing!)

Two weeks and everybody seems content. Except the sore gill one, but he's improving. Ammonia is so light that the green I see could just be a trick of the light. My nitrites are bothering me still; they're 1.0 before and after water changes. I'm thinking that since the only filtering these guys had before was the carbon, that I just need to be patient and let the new sponges get cycled in. And cheap testing strips probably doesn't help. I'm saving for the master kit.

I spoke too soon! I have some sort of mystery suffocation. In effort to try and lower those pesky nitrites, I did a 15 gallon followed by a 10 gallon change yesterday morning (this is a 30g tank). Now today I've got all sorts of air gulping going on, and the cheap dipstick shows the same color of nitrites. Still 1.0. I haven't had any noticeable air gulping before today even when it was at 3.0 when i first got it. Nitrates 5 and never get higher than 10, gh 150 and stays about there, kh 120 and bounces between that and 60, and pH is neutral never straying more than .2 on either side. And the ammonia has been very light lately. I changed the carbon for the first time a few days ago, the fresh stuff had zeolite in it. I put in a couple spoons of aquarium salt yesterday, but I've done that before without incident because the sore gill guy clears up a little when I do. Otherwise nothing new but fresh water. I've got two bubblers in one corner with a sponge, and another bubbler with an air stone in the other end. Plus the filter breaks up half the surface. The temp is 68F after a couple hours of the lamp being on. This is kinda frustrating when they survived years with no fresh water or good filtering, yet they're not happy while I'm babying them.

Did you check your tap water for nitrites? Water changes should have dropped the tank levels. Did you condition and temperature match the new water?

Unless something was amiss with the water change itself, what I suspect is happening is simply the result of these guys being in very high nitrite conditions for quite awhile and you are now just starting to see symptoms. The effects of high nitrite levels are not seen immediately but long term exposure are evident as the affects are cumulative. Nitrite affects fish at a cellular level by binding hemoglobin (red blood cells) and preventing oxygen from being assimilated into the blood stream. Without oxygen, the fish slowly suffocate internally. Gasping/gulping at the surface is a physiological response to try and get more oxygen into their bloodstream. If your not already using Prime or Amquel Plus, I would suggest switching as they are the only water conditioners that help to limit nitrite toxicity. Salt does help in preventing nitrite toxicity but will have little effect once it has already occured though it will not hurt to keep a low level in the tank right now to prevent any further damage.

The tap water is good besides some ammonia. I don't know why the nitrite values aren't lowering with the water changes. Maybe it's the cheap test strip. Hopefully the big kit has better sensitivity and accuracy. I'll add better conditioner to my list too. If it's a hemoglobin problem, I'll try some extra iron in their diet. Maybe I'll boil a little potato and see what they think.

Its not a hemoglobin 'problem' but a nitrite problem and extra iron will not help. Nitrite has a greater affinity than oxygen in red blood cells and binds hemoglobin preventing oxygen from entering the bloodstream. Skip starchy foods with goldies- you may wind up with some digestive issues and floatiness. Non-starchy veggies and fruits are the best options.

Ok. No potato then.
I know that mammal hemoglobin needs iron to carry oxygen. I figured the fish would be similar, but I've never studied fish erythrocytes. I just wanted them to have the highest oxygen capacity possible while they're partially clogged by nitrites.
But they love their peas and corn! I thought they needed peas for digestion if they're on flakes. They don't really like carrots and only shred their leafy greens, so I just have to scoop it out later. I don't think I want to do frozen bloodworms quite yet because I don't want anything high protein while it's overstocked. Green beans and broccoli then!

Ok. No potato then.
I know that mammal hemoglobin needs iron to carry oxygen. I figured the fish would be similar, but I've never studied fish erythrocytes. I just wanted them to have the highest oxygen capacity possible while they're partially clogged by nitrites.
But they love their peas and corn! I thought they needed peas for digestion if they're on flakes. They don't really like carrots and only shred their leafy greens, so I just have to scoop it out later. I don't think I want to do frozen bloodworms quite yet because I don't want anything high protein while it's overstocked. Green beans and broccoli then!

Peas are fine, corn is not. Peas help a lot with digestion, but I don't think corn would be very beneficial for them in the long run. Green beans and broccoli are great options as well, though!

Ok. No potato then.

Yep, you are correct! The same thing that occurs in mammals occurs in fish. Nitrite oxidizes iron in hemoglobin rendering it unable to carry oxygen to the tissues and organs (known as methemoglobinemia or 'blue baby' syndrome in infants). In fish, its called 'brown blood disease'. Methylene blue is used in both humans and fish as a treatment for nitrite poisoning.

Experiment with various fruits and veggies to see what they may like. It may take a few tries before they are willing to try something new. :)

Good! We like peas! :)

Hopefully I don't need to use dye. That sounds messy!

9/9 fish have survived a whole 4 weeks!
Very little fish or water drama, but the stand cracked down the middle! And I removed a piece of tape from the rim of the aquarium that was apparently hiding a leak. Now the tank is on the floor, but a steel stand is being made (it's good to have family in a steel factory!). The water only stays about a centimeter low from the leak, so I'm not dashing out to but a new tank or sealant right away. I found out boss has a 20 gallon, so I'm going to see if he'll get that running and cycling while we're waiting for his pond. It could lighten up my tank's load quite a bit!

When I switched on the hood this morning, I thought the fish looked a little more active than normal. I went ahead and fed them. Now I notice that all of them are chasing around a big one. Every single other fish is swimming in tight next to him as he tries to get away. They sometimes nip at his belly and cloaca. I find it hard to believe that they're all male and she's an unfortunate lady getting all their attention. So if it's not mating, does this mean it's sick and they're trying to eat him already? He does have a little rash that I've been watching, it hasn't changed since I got him. He's also has scars, but they seem healthy. Water values are fine. I'd put him on my 10 gallon, but I have no other filters.

No fish fatality yet! But pretty darn close when i stepped in a puddle of water the other morning.

Quick response please!

So, after changing water constantly, and patiently waiting, my boss' pond fell through. I got an offer from my aunt for her pond, but she brings dozens of goldfish indoors over winter into a 55 gal, so I didn't think that was any healthier.

But I found this thing at a thrift store. Only $50. It says it works, but I cannot find an instruction manual anywhere and am afraid it will need costly parts or something. I see why water would go down, but absolutely nothing looks like it would push it back up after being filtered. Any ideas if it's worth it? I'm estimating 45-50gal. I'd split the 9 Goldies between the two IF it doesn't need expensive parts to work.

image-2695848797.jpg

image-2702873477.jpg

I really hope someone can find me some sort of instructions on a website or something, I've searched and only found forums selling these or looking for an instruction manual.

It comes with that collection tape, an L shaped tube from the main aquarium to a square section in the corner, and a bag full of keys, plastic rifled rings, and another hard tube with a rubber bulb syringe attached. I only have a couple hours to decide if it's worth buying!

Never mind. I didn't get it. I'll wait for something with an instruction manual or someone to help set it up.

That's a saltwater tank with a sump with a sump. It adds more water to the whole overall tank and helps keep water quality better by diluting your water

Back
Top Bottom