New Oceanic Biocube 29 Startup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ClowninBC29

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This new found hobby has completely sucked me in.. Hours upon hours of reading for the last month or so. Patience is a key from what I've sen so far. All my params seems fine for now.. Came home tonight to see this Lime Green Algae forming on the rock. Only been running lights when I want to look at the tank. My question is ... Is this the beginning of coralline algae starting to grow in my tank and what should I expect to happen here in the near future...been reading a lot of threads on this forum and you guys are borderline pro marine biologists lol.. Just looking for a little feedback on what i can expect to happen from here..all advise greatly appreciated :)

Attachments

• image-2867372989.jpg
    image-2867372989.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 382
  • image-412403716.jpg
    image-412403716.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 250
Looks like it could be some coralline algae that you have growing there. Your tank will likely go through many stages of algae growth and generally speaking, coralline growth isn't noticeable until well after you have seen some of your nuisance algae blooms. That tank looks like a 8 or 14 gallon BC? Your name suggests that the tank might be a 29 although if so that must be a huge power head. If that is the case and it has stock lighting then it should be good for coralline growth (seems to flourish under lower lighting).

BTW: Welcome to AA!

It's a 29 gal.. Ya didn't realize how big it was till I took it out of the box lol..korlia 550. Had a diatom bloom(brown) three weeks ago. Cuc took care of that. So far just waiting for everything to stabilize. Minor setback due to cleaning lady spraying cleaners on and around tank. Had to do a huge water change and removed filter and replaced with bag of Purigen. What do you think of replacing bio balls with a media rack from In tank? Or any other possible mods? My problem is this unit is so new and coralife upgraded the hood and the filtration system that most don't make mod kits that will fit properly

ClowninBC29 said:
It's a 29 gal.. Ya didn't realize how big it was till I took it out of the box lol..korlia 550. Had a diatom bloom(brown) three weeks ago. Cuc took care of that. So far just waiting for everything to stabilize. Minor setback due to cleaning lady spraying cleaners on and around tank. Had to do a huge water change and removed filter and replaced with bag of Purigen. What do you think of replacing bio balls with a media rack from In tank? Or any other possible mods? My problem is this unit is so new and coralife upgraded the hood and the filtration system that most don't make mod kits that will fit properly

Welcome to AA family! You wanna talk mods?! Well.... What do you wanna do? Ask away. I have some ideas for ya! What's your budget like. You can pimp that bad boy out!

Here's mine

Also check this site out.

inTank Aquatics

And check this out.

Now questions? lol.

Wow that's amazing! Now I've seen all those mods from in tank but there is a note under the product bundle that they are working on a setup for the biocube by oceanic.. Guess there are some differences.. I'm not sure but I do know the carbon filter no longer slides in the first chamber but sits above. The. BB acting as a skimmer? Not too sure. $$ is not an option just hate ordering a bunch of stuff that might not fit properly in my unit.. Don't mind DIY stuff but if it won't fit it won't fit.. Where did u find that korlia wave maker timer.. Haven't been able to find one. Do u run a sump in the cabinet. Chiller? Heater? I'm in S Fl so heater prob not needed

Fits Oceanic Biocube and Oceanic Biocube HQI models. Media basket will fit but stay hold/water director will tilt downwards in the coralife biocube. The basket will work but it is not 100% as designed. We are working on a coralife biocube model of the media basket.
* that last sentence is only thing that held me back from ordering*

Oh wait yours has hinges on the hood right? And the back is clear(see through) I saw those at my LFS. Those are nice. It has 4 switches on the hood too right? Yeah those are nice!! I have the different model. But I like those. I made my own hinges.

Yeah that's the one.. Only been out for a month or so.. So not exactly the same as yours.. Hopefully the final product tho.lol

ClowninBC29 said:
Yeah that's the one.. Only been out for a month or so.. So not exactly the same as yours.. Hopefully the final product tho.lol

Yea that one is nice. Almost makes me wanna break mine down and out it all in that one. Kinda ticked off they did all that AFTER the fact but then again isn't that ALWAYS the case?

Badass! Nice to have all the lights on separate switches for timer purposes.. Plus it's all the newest tech lighting. Really don't have to do anything there. Excited to get this thing started.

Attachments

• image-3714327035.jpg
    image-3714327035.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 77
  • image-54877328.jpg
    image-54877328.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 106
Show off lol....

Don't me start unloading my pics lol. But seriously it's a sick tank. They finally got it right IMO.

Lmao u sent me a 6 min video! Urs is soo sick! Snails and crabs aren't very fun to watch for one month.. Drivin me nuts.. Patients is def NOT a strong point of mine!

Tank was 239 and the stand was 125 bought it new .. total impulse buy. There's a LFS next to my barber shop waitin on a cut and bought it with absolutely noooo idea hat I was getting myself into lol

ClowninBC29 said:
Tank was 239 and the stand was 125 bought it new .. total impulse buy. There's a LFS next to my barber shop waitin on a cut and bought it with absolutely noooo idea hat I was getting myself into lol

That's what happened to us :)

I have the BC that is by coralife as well. and i was also looking into modding the back of it because i feel like that little carbon insert isn't doing much work, plus i've heard the bioballs aren't really needed if you have the ample amount of live rock.

Back
Top Bottom