new or used

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shrekk12

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all. I have discovered my two year old daughter loves fish. It was the word after mom and daddy. I figure that I might as well get a tank for her ( and me). I have read that a bigger tank is easier to maintain. Would it be wise to buy used so I can get a bigger tank. Or are there reasons I should avoid a used tank. Any advice will be much appreciated. I want to star with as brightly colored fish as I can get and still have them be easy to maintain as I am a newb.

The only experience I have is a fairground gold fish named Bob. He lasted about 2 years in his bowl. I now know that was a big mistake. Poor poor Bob that won't happen again. I think a small school would be great and I would like to move up to a black and a white angel fish in the long run. Thank you all I look forward to reading your advice.

Nothing wrong with scoring a used tank. Inspect it thoroughly. Have the seller fill it with water, if they won't (for any reason) walk away. While the tank is full of water, run any pumps and/or filters and inspect thoroughly. Make sure nothing leaks then turn off the filter(s) and check again (I have seen canister filters that would not leak until they were turned off). Inspect the stand, if it looks rotted or damaged from water don't buy it unless the damage is minimal and you feel it's no problem or can fix it.
Good luck.

Thanks for the fast reply. I reply am looking into a used tank. I have read that fish get sick I did not know that before. So would it be possible is a deseased fish could cause the tank to be contagious. I would hat to put my fish through something like that as the knollage I have I don't they would make it.

Not after you clean and sterilize it. One thing to ask is if any copper based meds had ever been dosed in the tank because if it has you can kiss any inverts you put in goodby.

You can get a great deal on a used tank. I got an awesome deal on cl. Just be sure to inspect everything. I scrubbed everything with hot water and a ton of salt. I ran the filter in a 5 gallon bucket with salt water. I didnt feel comfortable using the sand they had so i bought all purpose sand at home depot. I also bought new filter media. Be sure to get a master test kit! And read up on cycling.

That's good to know.I will be sure to ask about copper based meds. I'm gonna look on cl tonight.

Back
Top Bottom