New parrot fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Patricia0648

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Have new parrot fish for about 2 weeks. One is more aggressive than the other. The smaller one hides a lot. During feeding the larger one will bump the smaller one. They are not that much different in size but it does seem to make a difference. Should I wait it out or should I take the larger one back and see if I can get another possibly smaller

how big is your tank? these cichlids get to be around 10-11inches, they should not be in a tank less than a 55g, that would only accommodate two BP's, every addition would probably need another 15-20g, so please think about that as well

as for aggression, its normal with cichlids, my bigger one which is just a tad bigger picks on every cichlid in my tank, just because hes the biggest

also, Blood Parrots are really shy, my blood parrots took two weeks to get comfy just to eat in front of me and for them to go up to the glass to see whats up outside the tank, this actions usually have BP owners questioning if they are sick, but they are not, just give them time

Parrot fish

I took the one back and now have just the one in a 38 gallon tank. I willkidt keep the one because I know they get very large. He seems to be doing just fine Hope he will be ok by himself

if he is the only inhabitant in the tank than he will be fine for now, try to get at least a 55g for him, they need at least a 4ft footprint, anything less will probably lead to a growth stunt

Back
Top Bottom