New saltwater enthusiast here...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sciko_Scott

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello every one, my name is Scott Borden and I am new to the saltwater game. I have owned several fresh water tanks in the past and have decided to try my hand at saltwater.

I currently own a 15gal. upright. I set it up as a saltwater tank back on Jan. 24th, 2012. I currently have a live rock set up with 3 live rocks, and crushed coral substrate. I use a top mount filter with coal filter bags, a top mount heater which keeps the tank at a constant 77-78 degrees. Also decorated with 5 cleaned shells found on our trip to the Bahamas. The live rock appears to be doing very well. When I purchased it from the local petworld here in Rochester. One of the rocks had a large sea sponge on the top of it. I have a few questions about that but we will get back to that later.

Because of the size of the tank I have chosen to use, which many people have told me is small for a saltwater tank, I have been checking my levels every week, I currently am checking Salinity, Calcium, Carbonate Hardness, Phosphate, as well as Nitrate. Every thing appears to be checking out except for my Calcium. I hear Calcium along with KH is key for coral tanks. My Calcium appears to be high and is around 550. My KH is at about 7-8 DKH which is on the low end. What I am wondering is if this is "ok" or if I should work on a better balance.

My next question is regarding the sponge and other things which appear to be growing on my live rock. Is there any thing I should do to keep the sponge healthy? Another thing that I have found interesting is this "tube" like thing which appears to be poking out of one of the holes in the rock. It was not there until about a week after the tank was set up. I am interested in seeing what this will turn out to be. I was hoping some one could tell me. I should have photos up soon of my tank and all of the interesting things growing on my live rock. All of the water I use in my water changes is filtered straight from the tap, ran through the top mount filter and treated to remove any harmful chemicals. Should I be testing for other things? If so what?

As for fish I am not really looking to get them for at least another few weeks. But when I do I am looking to get 2 clown fish and possibly a small hermit crab. I don't want to overcrowd the tank, and knowing that clown fish need their space to swim I think 2 should be just enough for the amount of room that I have. I also hear that clown fish enjoy having ample room to hide as well as swim. Would you suggest I get a few more live rocks to help build more spaces to hide? As for anemones I am thinking either 1 or 2. Not really quite sure what type to get but that wont be for another month or 2. I want to make sure my levels are perfect, since I hear these things are extremely difficult to care for.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Don't know anything about salt but would love to see pics of the tank! hope you get them up soon:popcorn:

Welcome to AA!

The tube coming out of the rock may be a little Feather Duster.

As for anemones, they need an established tank (6 months), and an high output of lighting. :)

If you have any other questions I would be happy to answer them.

Thanks every one! It's all quite exciting I just want to make sure I do things right with what I got. Is it normal for my live rock to start turning colors? There is some green, orange, red, pink, and some blue. The colors appear to be spreading a little bit each day.

As for the 2 worm things they have both went back into where they came out. Will they come back?

If you are using an API test kit, the calcium kits are notoriously inaccurate. I would not be surprised if your calcium was much lower. What salt mix are you using?

Here is a little guide for identifying hitch hikers-
Live Rock Hitch Hikers

I just noticed a larger tube thing coming out of the intake tube to my top mount filter. It's poking right out of it. I am trying to take some clear photos of it right now.

i-wHfZvk4-XL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom