New shrimp owner - question about Amano Shrimp poop and behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualion9

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! I saw a brown string come out of the back end of my Amano Shrimp and assumed it was poop. I was just reading around and saw that amano shrimps poop short pellets instead of strings. Is something wrong with my shrimp?

My other question has to do with a different shrimp. It always stays at the top of my tank, perched on something like a suction cup, near the surface so that part of it is in air. I have a bubbler in my tank though. Is this normal behavior?

Other inhabitants of the tank are corydoras and a nerite snail. Any help is appreciated!

Hello! I saw a brown string come out of the back end of my Amano Shrimp and assumed it was poop. I was just reading around and saw that amano shrimps poop short pellets instead of strings. Is something wrong with my shrimp?

My other question has to do with a different shrimp. It always stays at the top of my tank, perched on something like a suction cup, near the surface so that part of it is in air. I have a bubbler in my tank though. Is this normal behavior?

Other inhabitants of the tank are corydoras and a nerite snail. Any help is appreciated!

I have one and they poop long strings too. I’m gonna say no problem!

Difficult to say without a picture, but unless the poop looked obviously abnormal or the shrimp was showing other worrying symptoms, I wouldn't worry. Fun fact: because these shrimp are transparent, you can actually see the poop passing through them (the long dark stripe along their body is basically food passing through their insides). :)

Constantly staying near the top of the tank could indicate low oxygen levels in the tank (same as in fish), but if it's just the one shrimp and all the other ones are acting normal then it's probably nothing to worry about. You can keep an eye on it just in case, see if anything changes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom