New Shrimp Swimming like crazy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wazgud

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone, I am new to this forum(and caring for shrimp). I went to petsmart today and bought 5 ghost shrimps to add to my new tank. However they are swimming around like crazy. Sometimes I see them grazing around the sand, but later I find them swimming up and down the glass. There is also one shrimp(has eggs) this one has done nothing for the past 3 hours but swim in front of the tank from left to right. Could there be something wrong with my water? My home water is well water and is softened using softener? Please help!:thanks:

Shrimp are naturally curious. They may just be exploring their new surroundings. Mine did the same thing when I got them. After about a week, they calmed down. They may also be used to grabbing food from the top of the water if they were fed that way. Do you have a test kit? If so your exact water parameters would help determine if there is anything else going on.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Mine did the same think. I guess it is normal. Mine are fine now.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

ohh, thank you guys! I actually ended up bringing a sample of my water to petsmart to have it tested(I already ordered an API freshwater kit and I do not want to spend more money!) I actually just checked them out right now and they seem to be doing fine now. However, the one with the eggs is still doing what it was doing when I brought them in the tank(left to right, non stop). But that is not much of a concern right now haha, again thanks guys, now I know what to expect when my red cherry shrimps come in!

Shrimp do like some cover, so make sure you have some places for them to duck out of the way. Mine usually congregate in an area where the substrate is scooped out next to/under a piece of driftwood.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yup, I actually ordered 3 pieces of cholla wood, planning to throw them in there for the shrimp!

Back
Top Bottom