New species. New start.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wilmo

Aquarium Advice Freak
Sadly I lost my last Betta yesterday. So I decided to get a new species as the centre piece of community tank. I already had two female dwarf gourami, so I buy two male. I would like to attempt breeding them. Here's some pics. The females won't sit still. So it's just the males. Has anyone had any luck breeding them and what advise do you have for dwarf gourami's. Thank you

Attachments

• image-1066001438.jpg
    image-1066001438.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 110
  • image-2697730307.jpg
    image-2697730307.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 107
I've never seen a female dwarf gourami, most LFS won't stock them since they're pale and drab. But the correct stocking ratio would be two females to one male to reduce the stress of the ladies.

That could be a problem, since there is an equal number of males and females, the males may be constantly harassing the ladies. I also have no experience with breeding DG's, but I have a male.

Here is a good link for breeding DG's since you are interested.

Thanks for the link. Mine have seemed to paired off with each other. Anyone ever heard to this before. If it causes problems I have another tank to place one into.

I have one but it currently has a very aggressive guppy in it to try and calm it down. Plus I can use it cause they are bubble nesters and the male uses plants I'm the nest.

What size tank are they in?

True females are difficult to find here in the US, but I have seen folks in the UK find them pretty regular in shops. Be sure (beyond because the shop worker said so) that they are female.

Dwarf Gourami Breeding

Currently in a chi with fluval U1. Possible Moving them to my 55g tank when I get some of my fish shifted. I found females in both my lfs. they're defo female the have the rounded fins in comparassing with the male pointy fins.

Sounds like you may have a good chance of breeding if they have already paired off. In the 55g they females will have plenty of hiding spots if the males to get to harassing, especially if it is planted. Sounds like you absolutely have females. Lucky you!

adadkins1 said:
Sounds like you may have a good chance of breeding if they have already paired off. In the 55g they females will have plenty of hiding spots if the males to get to harassing, especially if it is planted. Sounds like you absolutely have females. Lucky you!

Lol. There alot cheaper than the males well. It took like 2 hours and they paired off. Now here's the question. Live plants or plastic or does it matter for the males to build their nest. I have plastic just now but that can be easily changed ( hopefully lol).

Does not matter he would use the bottom of a Styrofoam cop. He just needs something to support the structure.

It is purely your preference. Rich is right that he will need something to support his bubblenest since it is not planted. Mine has made bubblenests and it is fun to watch them pick pieces off of the plants and build his nest. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Already paired off and building a bubblenest.

Grand. That saves some work. I love sitting watching them. Does ph affect what sex the fry will be. Because I heard it does with live bearers.

adadkins1 said:
It is purely your preference. Rich is right that he will need something to support his bubblenest since it is not planted. Mine has made bubblenests and it is fun to watch them pick pieces off of the plants and build his nest. Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. Already paired off and building a bubblenest.

No they're not building yet. Sorry should of said. The two pair just sit beside each other on opposite sides of the tank.

Okay. I really don't know about the pH thing, it seems a bit far fetched. If this was the truth, in nature if the water happened to be a similar pH in one region the species would go extinct. I do know alligators/crocodile offspring sex is determined by temperature that the eggs were incubated at. However, I would say that it is just kind of a random thing.

Apparently with live bearers I u have a low ph they will be male or have a high they will be female. In the middle you get both. It does sound random likes. But o well. I would like a mix of males and females anyways.

Back
Top Bottom