New Starfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeenReefer

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just recieved a starfish from a friend, (a blue starfish) and im not really sure what to feed him or if i have to. I dont have any live rock in my aquarium, so could that affect eating habits? If he needs to be fed, what should i feed him? Thanks,

TeenReefer

29 gallon FO aquarium
2 percs
1 damsel
1 blue sea star
hermits and snails

They constantly feed on the bacterial film found on LR and probably wouldn't survive in a tank without any.

You can try feeding it small pieces of seafood.

Thanks. Man that really sucks. I have algea on my rocks, will it eat that? I will try and get some LR otherwise.

My little serpent star comes flying out from under his rock when I feed the tank a half capful of mirco-vert food. I use the Kent micro-vert food for filter feeders and inverts (Careful, it looks similar to the bottle that Kent sells its strontium in, dont want to be dosing are little non coral friends with SR..Kinda like mixin up the skinny n sweet with rat poison..ok Im old now.) . They completely dig it. Not a great diet by itself, but if you truly have no live rock, little star-dude is gonna have a tough time foraging.

GL

Do you have a pic? If it is a blue linkia starfish, it will surely starve to death in your tank. It is not fully understood what it is that the linky survives on, but it is known that they need to be kept in an established tank (1 or more years old) with 100+lbs of live rock. Sorry :cry:

Like Stresco says I would do the star a favor and give him to someone with a lot of LR...... Do not touch the star with your bare hands either, the oils from your skin could/will kill the star.......

Back
Top Bottom