New Tanganyika setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dogspot

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi ya'all... I'm a rookie, so bear with me. I just bought a 60 gallon setup, and after hours of research I decided on a tanganyika setup. I have kicked the PH up to an acceptable level. I have many rocks and shells and caves. I finally decided on getting the fish. I have 4 Frontosa's, 1 Black Calvus, 1 Tropheus Duboisi, 1 Leleupi, and 2 plecos. I started with 3 Leleupi's, but I seem to have a very mean Leleupi, and he ended the life of the other two... Strangest of all, he was the smallest of the 3. It's been about 3 months, and other than the mean leleupi, everything seems harmonious. I am thinking of adding a couple more black calvi, 2 cats (Synodontis Petricola), and 1 or 2 spiny Eels (Caecomastacembelus moorii). Does anyone think I will have a problem with this conglomeration of fish? Also, I want to get some companions for my Leleupi, but am scared it will kill any other Leleupis I introduce to the tank... Any suggestions on lessening his aggression? I have plenty of caves, shells, and hiding places. Last question, the LFS seem to have limited Tanganyikan options... I am interested in mail ordering them or finding a good website... Any Recs?

Thank you

Mike (AKA dogspot)

Welcome to AA dogspot (aka Mike).

You didn't mention how long your tank has been set-up and/or whether it is cycled. Very important. In regard to the Leleupi, I have no info so I can't help you there. The rule of thumb is once aggressive, always aggressive and that may be the case here.

There are a couple of reputable mail order sites for fish.

http://www.liveaquaria.com is one of the best. Good selection of Africans.

Thanks for the welcome J :D

I ran the tank for about 2 weeks without fish, and added Tanganyika buffer during this time as per my LFS... And it's been about another 4 weeks since I actually added fish. I think I will hold off on adding any more Leleupi's. The mean one doesn't bother anyone other than his own kind.

I'll check out Liveaquaria.

Thanks!

For the record, we have a number of members who keep various types of Africans (from both Lakes) and some New World South Americans. Wouldn't hurt to PM those members (a quick check of the members photo galleries under fish types will give you and idea of who they are).

Hare to sound like a recording but, is your tank now fully cycled? Do you perform Partial Water Changes (PWC's)? And lastly, what is your current ph?

Hi J,

Tank has been cycled. I read the articles on AA before I began the setup. I have changed some of the water out, only because I have a spare 10 gallon and I set it up to save the Leleupi's, but never actually pulled them out. What % and how often is a good rule of thumb? I have gotten the PH up to about 8.2.

Thanks,

Dogspot

Back
Top Bottom