New Tank - Advice welcome

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pics of fish

I was able to put his pictures in a album but haven't figured out how to put it into a post, yet. PH seems to be holding at 6.6, so I'm just going to check it every hour and do a full testing later tonight. Should I do a waterchange tonight or just let the Proper PH 7 sit till tomorrow if the other numbers are okay?

When you respond to a msg, click on the 'go advanced' button. A new msg screen will pop up for writing an answer. On the top, you will see little symbols above the msg box. One of them is a 'paperclip'- click on this & you can browse your computer for pics to upload.

If your numbers are ok tonight, a wc isnt necessary. Just make sure your amm/nitrite are under control & the ph is holding. Keep us posted!

I just checked your pics- thanks! Theres just a few uplifted scales here & there- I would not be too worried as long as your keeping their water healthy. Its very possibily from their water conditions prior to this, their move & the ph swings right now. Just keep a close eye on them & let us know if anything changes. :)

Pictures finally

Finally figured out it was my browser. Changed to Explorer and I was able to add them.
Thanks for the advice, helps to know when you're on track and when you're not. Maybe I've been worrying for nothing anyway, he's been swimming so actively I could barely get his picture, the big begger.

Attachments

• fish 3.jpg
    fish 3.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 80
  • fish 4.jpg
    fish 4.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 71
I don't know. Thier old tank had some sharp decor in it that I don't use. And the PH has been kind of up and down last 24 hours or so, they did seem a little stressed this morning when it was PH 6 or below. Maybe he ran into something?

Thats good to know. Glad I have you all to answer my questions. I don't like hit or miss with living creatures, I feel too guilty if I let them down. Took some new numbers and they are:

PH : 6.4
Amm : .25 ppm
Nitrites : 0 :nono:
Nitrates : between 0 & 5 ppm

Went ahead and did a 30 percent PWC, and when the water finishes filling I'm going to bed. Hope tomorrow morning brings better PH numbers than I had this morning.

PH this morning 6.6, which happens to be what the tap water tested at after 48 hours.
Ammonia tested at .25 ppm
Nitrites are still 0

Will test nitrates in a bit.

:facepalm: I figured out what was bothering me about the fish late last night. When he would stop swimming he would float. Nuked a bunch of frozen peas last night and dropped them where he was making sure he ate some, and he seems much better today. Figured it wouldn't hurt to fast them today. Should I give them more peas when I feed them again, or go back to their regular food (pellets soaked in water and squished so they sink)?

Im glad the ph held steady! Go ahead & offer peas for another day- just make sure you pop them out of the shells & squish them first. You will want to start offering them daily cooked veggies in addition to their regular food to limit floatiness & keep their digestive tracks moving. Deshelled peas, broccoli florets, zucchini, cauliflower, spinach, aspargus heads, anything dark green & leafy, peppers, carrots, etc. Basically anything is game as long as its cooked though avoid anything spicy or starchy (potatoes, corn). Skip iceberg lettuce. I use a garlic press to smoosh tougher stuff into bits (carrot, peppers). Remove anything uneaten after 24hrs & replace with fresh stuff. You can also offer fruits a few times a week as well. :)

Very good to know, I hate floaters, you just feel so bad for them.
Numbers seem to be holding steady:

PH : 6.6
Ammonia : .25
Nitrites still 0
Nitrates : between 0 and 5

Is the cycle stalled or what? Haven't done a water change today. I've done so many lately because of the PH, do you think that and the PH 6 from yesterday is affecting it?

By the way, little guy is acting fine now, no more floating thank goodness. Just pooping green.:lol:

Green poop is good! That means he's eating his peas & system is moving along well. Stick with your daily veggies. Yes, its likely your bacteria got a ph shock- they will recover! Do you have access to any cycled media (friend, lfs, etc)? This would help alot to kick your cycle into gear. If you dont, many members have had success using 'active' filters from Angelsplus- they are live, cycled filters. If its something you want to consider, heres their link: Sponge Filters for aquariums

Ordered a seeded filter from Angels Plus yesterday afternoon. Heard you mention them on another post, and thought they could help. Everyone's looking good today with no problems. Nice to not worry about them for a few hours.

Everyone is doing fine. No excessive floating or other off behavior. Just did a new reading on the water, results follow.
Ammonia : .25 ppm
Nitrites : starting to creep up, not 0, but very low
Nitrates : 5 ppm

Found a great LFS that's in Pensacola, (only 35 miles away) with very good reviews. Will try to get there this week, supposed to be something to see.
Can you use polyfil for pillows in your filters or does it have to be the stuff at the pet store?

Yep, the polyfill you buy for stuffing pillows is fine! Just make sure you dont get the stuff thats labeled 'flame-retardent' (it costs twice as much) because it contains chemicals that you dont want in an aquarium. Glad everyone is doing well! :)

Did 30 - 35% PWC'S last night about 2200.

New numbers 0930

Amm : .25 ppm
Nitrites : still just trace

Will do nitrates soon and post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom