New tank complete.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

starfish615

Aquarium Advice Regular
Behold! New tank complete!
The dwarf Cory are amazing love this tank so much. The Cory gave me quite the scare when I added Betta yesterday they were a little spooked by her at first and kept playing dead I was freaking out thinking my seeded filter didn’t successfully cycle the tank but then watched her approach one and the little guy immediately flopped on his side and played dead in front of her lol. They have figured out she isn’t a threat now though and arnt bothered by her following them around from time to time :)
IMG_0918.jpgIMG_0919.jpg

I love it. I want a little dome rock like that. I’ve also never seen a filter like that. I’m new to tanks tho! There’s some s+p cories at the store by me, I need some but my new tank will take a bit to be ready!

Thanx! It’s actually a half coconut shell can find them on amazon and the filter is a sponge filter with media “basket” by upettools (also on amazon) Hygger makes a double one but was way too big for this tank [emoji4] the hygger single doesn’t have the extra spot for media so went with the upettools one and put some seachem matrix in it. I really like it cause it’s air powered so don’t have to also have airstone

Just fyi as I know you mentioned maybe doing a sorority but I can’t remember how big your tank your setting up is- the s+p Cory are VERY active I wouldn’t recommend more than 1 Betta with them in 10 gallon. Not to mention stock wise per aqadvisor 1 betta and 6 S+P pretty much maxes out 10 gallon.

Oh dang why can’t I have like 3 s+p and 3 betta? It’s 10. Guess I could skip the cories in there completely and just get a dwarf pleco

Cory are schooling fish so it’s recommended to have at least 6 to keep the little guys happy. :) also another food for thought is substrate choice matters with Cory since they nuzzle around in gravel you want a smooth substrate - I used aqua natural gold pearl its super small smooth round gravel :) my 54 has the silver pearl color but it’s sold out everywhere for some reason right now

Well too late for that now :/ I used the same gravel in both tanks… they seem to be happy tho!

UPETTOOLS Aquarium Biochemical Sponge Filter, Ultra Quiet Aquarium Air Pump Bio Sponge Fish Tank Foam Filter Comes with 4/2 Spare Sponges 4/2 Bag of Bio Ceramic Media Balls https://a.co/d/1UlNLJ5

Is this the sponge filter with media? Why did you buy separate media? I wanna get a sponge filter because the suction of the hanging filter I have seems to be a little strong for betta. Also, floating plants get tossed all over the tank.

Can you tell me about that heater too... is it a better type to not burn the fish? Mine are those metal rod types.

Sorry just saw this! Fluval P50 it’s a preset one but Aqueon pro 50 heater is adjustable but same type of finish :)

The tank looks nice but you need a picture on the back to make the fish feel more secure. You can buy aquarium backings from any pet shop or online, or use a sheet of coloured card or a plastic bin liner. Just tape it to the outside on the back.

You should also add some floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) to encourage the Cories out during the day and to give the Betta somewhere to hang out. :)

Back
Top Bottom