New tank just set it up cube 12 first saltwAter tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello I'm from the planted tank side but enjoy reading the salty side as i also have a strong interest in reef tanks. I had really enjoyed reading your thread until this point. In my opinion what you suggested doing here is very poor form. The reason i think this is poor, you are introducing fish to your tank knowing conditions are not perfect. Ammonia burns the gills and the damage is not reversible. You then return this fish. Now Joe Bloggs might walk in off the street into the same fish store expecting to buy a healthy damsel. That damsel isn't healthy though and may die a little down the line. If you want a fish then keep it. If you don't want it then don't buy it!!!!. I also don't think you understand the cycling process fully. Just because your original ammonia had lowered does not mean you are cycled.
Hope this hasn't caused offence and this was not my intentions. Jus stating my opinion

Ok, at that point in time his tank was beginning to be considered cycled. He was doing an unneeded experiment though. The fish weren't affected in any way because of this.

Ok, at that point in time his tank was beginning to be considered cycled. He was doing an unneeded experiment though. The fish weren't affected in any way because of this.

I read through it all and i didnt see any proof that his tank could take an amount of ammonia and convert it to nitrite and into nitrate within a 24hour period. I did see the initial stages of the cycling process. But this wasn't what i thought badly of though. Anybody can misread a cycle. I was one of those people when i started. It was the buying of fish knowing that they would be returned i had the problem with. Like i said i meant no offence and im happy the op seems to of learnt from the advice he was given.
Im not on the salt side to make enemies. Im here to learn more about your way of doing things

I read through it all and i didnt see any proof that his tank could take an amount of ammonia and convert it to nitrite and into nitrate within a 24hour period. I did see the initial stages of the cycling process. But this wasn't what i thought badly of though. Anybody can misread a cycle. I was one of those people when i started. It was the buying of fish knowing that they would be returned i had the problem with. Like i said i meant no offence and im happy the op seems to of learnt from the advice he was given.
Im not on the salt side to make enemies. Im here to learn more about your way of doing things

You are correct in which he didn't double check with another dose of ammonia, that's why I included the word "beginning". I in no way mean to get into a fight. Rather we were letting him learn from his mistakes, when there were periods of ignorance. He is new, we all make mistakes, it's just important that he learns from it.

Nice to see you want to learn though! Have a great day :).

You are correct in which he didn't double check with another dose of ammonia, that's why I included the word "beginning". I in no way mean to get into a fight. Rather we were letting him learn from his mistakes, when there were periods of ignorance. He is new, we all make mistakes, it's just important that he learns from it.

Nice to see you want to learn though! Have a great day :).

Yea i wasn't in anyway criticising the advice given. I like that you encouraged to not put fish in. Yea there is so much to learn on both sides. Cycling is key to both salt and fresh but after that it seems fairly different on both sides

Yea i wasn't in anyway criticising the advice given. I like that you encouraged to not put fish in. Yea there is so much to learn on both sides. Cycling is key to both salt and fresh but after that it seems fairly different on both sides

Oh yeah definitely, it's good to have people who aren't always ignorant. I'd keep the convo going but don't want to get called out for thread hijacking.

I did learn I'm not gonna get a fish until I see the right one I'm lookin right know but haven't found one yet thinking about getting a zoa tonight thou and see if they have a goby I want!!

I decided to go with a yellow goby so I can get a shrimp pair mabe I love the way they look also got a small candy cane frag and a favia frag

I have them just taking them home have to acclimate for at least an hour then I will post a pick they are pretty small those bigger ones are so expensive!!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395710004.224076.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395710025.329800.jpg
Favias
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395710081.565319.jpg
Candy canes
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395710130.157041.jpg
He is hiding but doing well just put everything in!!!

Yeah I really love them I couldn't find any zoas that I liked but I'm really happy with what I got!!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395712268.708941.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395712290.145812.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395712321.017793.jpg
My GSP is growing its mat but has not been coming out my ph dropped I wonder if that caused it it's good know there is a bunch of algae on it should I clean in off somehow??

Thanks man glad you like it I got a snail too I don't know where it went too!!

Back
Top Bottom