New tank - Need some advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You might wanna go all or nothing, just a suggestion. Most times 3 days isnt enough time for anything to really go wrong that quick. I go for only 2 weeks cause i feel that its reasonable and I also don't wanna stress the fish. keep in mind how many tanks he's been in in the last week. Prob from supplier tank to the pet store tank then to your qt then to your mt. thats alot for a fish for a week. Think how stressed you'd be if you had to move that many times a week. LOL

carey said:
You might wanna go all or nothing, just a suggestion. Most times 3 days isnt enough time for anything to really go wrong that quick. I go for only 2 weeks cause i feel that its reasonable and I also don't wanna stress the fish. keep in mind how many tanks he's been in in the last week. Prob from supplier tank to the pet store tank then to your qt then to your mt. thats alot for a fish for a week. Think how stressed you'd be if you had to move that many times a week. LOL

I'm in the military... I know that stress.. Lol... I guess ur right... They just look so bored...

I know, I get tempted every day and then I think of the 6 fish I lost in less than a week which was in the end my fault. 2 weeks isnt even a guarantee but i think every week adds a bit in your favor in the end. Ich is usually the one thing everyone gets and within a week or two you'd know. If it was a small outbreak in 3 days you might not yet see enough symptoms to know.

I just would hate for ANYONE to go through what I went through with my disaster.

carey said:
I know, I get tempted every day and then I think of the 6 fish I lost in less than a week which was in the end my fault. 2 weeks isnt even a guarantee but i think every week adds a bit in your favor in the end. Ich is usually the one thing everyone gets and within a week or two you'd know. If it was a small outbreak in 3 days you might not yet see enough symptoms to know.

I just would hate for ANYONE to go through what I went through with my disaster.

I understand.......

Kio707 said:
Lol... Good, because I got 1... It's better known as a 2 spotted bristletooth. A also got some yellow tailed damsels. Read they are not as aggressive as most...

Good luck with your yellowtail damsels my turned out to be little devils, started with three until they killed the one then they about killed my Tomini tang. Good luck would never recommend them to anyone. my tang is twice the size of my damsels

Cool new fish! Very awesome! I love Tangs, and foxfaces for that matter, but I am too scared to get one someday lol.

redsea said:
Cool new fish! Very awesome! I love Tangs, and foxfaces for that matter, but I am too scared to get one someday lol.

Y r u scared?????

I don't have ich and don't want it. Can I use this to prevent it?

Last edited:
let your tank cycle for 2-3 months before you put anything in it or youll waste your money ..then be sure your tank perameters are stable....then add..slow

gerridee said:
let your tank cycle for 2-3 months before you put anything in it or youll waste your money ..then be sure your tank perameters are stable....then add..slow

My tank has been up for about 5 months. Prams are good except alk is low. I'm boosting the alk now...

best way to prevent ich; use a qt, properly. With regular pwc's, good feeding practices, and no overstocking you should run an ich free system... 4 easy steps to healthy aquarium without crazy additives.

kurtyboh said:
best way to prevent ich; use a qt, properly. With regular pwc's, good feeding practices, and no overstocking you should run an ich free system... 4 easy steps to healthy aquarium without crazy additives.

Got it... Thanks for the advice....

I know its not what anyone wants to hear, and it would be nice if those things truly worked unfortunately more often than not putting things we cannot test for into our tank is generally a bad idea.

kurtyboh said:
I know its not what anyone wants to hear, and it would be nice if those things truly worked unfortunately more often than not putting things we cannot test for into our tank is generally a bad idea.

I understand and it makes sense...

I'm doing 20g pwc (on a 90g) every week. Is this to much? Am I over doing it? No my parameters are not out of whack. Just my akl was low. 4.... Yeah.... But I'm boosting it up. Just don't wanna add unneeded stress on the fish...

I would think IF the all is low on the incoming new water, a bigger weekly water change like that would hold the all down in the tank.

Back
Top Bottom