New tank + Nitrate absorbers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
as far as water parameters: ammonia=0, nitrite=0-.25(caution @.50), nitrate=40 or below. Real plants will eat up your nitrate. I don't check my GH but i know it is always hard from the city water.

If you're water comes from a municipal system and you aren't 100% certain that it does NOT contain chloramines- you should use a dechlorinator that removes both chlorine and chloramines. The chlorine will evaporate overnight, but chloramines won't.

Anaerobic bacteria really doesn't prefer nitrAte. It prefers oxygen. In most tanks, since low oxygen levels will kill fish, anaerobic bacteria doesn't do much to nitrAtes. What happens is when dissolved oxygen is low, the anaerobic bacteria can get oxygen ions from the nitrAte molecule, so it breaks the nitrAte down to nitrogen gas and oxygen.

In order to use it in an aquarium, you have to set up some means of creating a spot where aquarium water can go and lose oxygen. In order to do this, a "sump" has to operate at an extremely low flow, at about 1 drop per second. It also can't have any dead spots, or the bacteria will turn septic and give off dangerous gases like hydrogen sulfide.

There are companies who makes "nitrAte filters" that work within the above parameters. The most widely sold ones are by Aqua Medic.

I have yet to try one. I understand these units need to "cycle" seperately from the rest of the tank, and just like the main tank it takes 4-6 weeks.

As for "nitrAte absorbers," again they really don't absorb nitrAte directly. Rather, they absorb dissolved organics that would otherwise end up breaking down to nitrAte. The bacteria in the tank that is processing nitrIte will still produce nitrAte.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom