New tank - Nitrite problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm a novice at this so please bear with me

Bought my first tank (92 litre) 3.5 weeks ago, all the books i've read say it should take about 2 weeks to cycle but you can help the process by adding a bacteria substance like stress zyme. I've done this but the nitrite level is still too high at approx 0.25 mg/l

I was hoping to get fish in before Xmas, so any advice would be much
appreciated

Thanks
Paul

Welcome to AA :invasion:

What type of cycling are you doing (fish/fishless)? Depending on method, it can take several weeks. The only additive that helps move the cycle faster is bio-spira. Stress zyme and/or cycle will give some hope but really do nothing to completely cycle the tank.

What are your other parameters (ammonia, nitrate, ph)?

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm fishless, bit scared to add any until the nitrite drops as I thought the current level was too toxic

I've read about bio-spira but I don't believe its available here in the UK

Nitrate level is fine
I was advised not to bother testing ammonia as Nitrite is more important, also told there was no need for a ph test either - bad advice??

What is your ammonia source if your doing fishless? Testing ammonia is always a good idea as you will know when the cycle is completed (0 ammonia result). You will need to test the ph when you are ready to bring your inhabitants into your tank. It's always better to be prepared than have to react due to problems down the road.

I was told to add a few flakes of fish food with the stress zyme

What other sources of ammonia could I add?

The food method is probably the slowest method. Some folks have used ammonia and I've even heard of using clean portions of fish from fish market. All three methods are fine. It is a long process but when completed, your readings should be:

NH3- 0
NO2 - 0
NO3 - 10-20 ppm

Patience - since your two weeks into the cycle, you only have a couple of weeks to go.
If you want to revert to cycling with fish (just to give in to impatience...which is frowned upon...try some feeder fish).

Thanks for your help and advice, I appreciate it

So $64,000 question, with Nitrite currently approx 0.25 mg/l (but hopefuly dropping) is there any point in adding fish, or will they just die?
I only ask because the tank is a present for my two girls so ideally I'd like to get some fish in before Xmas day

Keeping in mind that the tank is for the girls and you wouldn't want them disappointed by having fish die...you can get some hardy fish (fish that can tolerate a certain amount of problem water). Try a few zebra danios or black widow tetras.

I agree, you really need to test your ammonia - it is a very important test to have on hand, along with nitrite and nitrate. pH is really not such a big issue at this point, you can definitely hold off on that for now.

I also agree with Jchillin that the flake food method might take quite a while, even as long as 6 weeks, so you might be a ways off before things are over with. If you use regular household ammonia, like what you would use to clean (not the sudsing kind) you can control exactly how much ammonia is going in the tank every day and monitor things more closely.

I'll echo the sentiment that a safe environment for the fish to thrive is much better for your girls (they'll learn delayed gratification, too - SUCH a Mom thing to say, shame on me! :oops: ) and I can't tell you how many posts we get on AA this time of year from desperate parents with heartbroken children watching fish suffering in a tank that was set up as a Christmas surprise.

You could get glass fish decorations for the tank that can be the "fish" until the tank is cycled, and they will think you are so brilliant doing your testing and whatnot, and knowing exactly the right time to add the fish. :fadein:

Good job, Jchillin -- just a few points: :wink:

Testing ammonia is always a good idea as you will know when the cycle is completed (0 ammonia result).
Yes, testing ammonia is always a good idea as you're going through the cycle. Whenever ammonia drops to 0, however, you are not completely cycled -- you're only about 1/3 of the way there. Your nitrites must climb, and fall to 0. Then you should have detectable nitrates. Now the cycle is done! Keep checking the parameters often for a few weeks to make sure, then you can check once a week.

When the cycle is completed, the nitrate, NO3, level can be anywhere from 20-40 ppm. Most FW fish can handle nitrates up to 40 ppm. (An exception I can think of offhand are otocinclus, which really prefer nitrates below 20 ppm.) To reduce your nitrates lower than 20 ppm, add some live plants. I have low light, no CO2, with a cryptocoryne and java moss. My nitrates have been at 0 for a while now. If your nitrates are over 40 ppm, you may be overstocked, or your source water could have some nitrates in it.

Back
Top Bottom