New tank - powerhead query?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mickrabb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

I have upgraded from a 4 foot tank to a new 6 foot 185 gallon tank (or 685 litres).

I am cycling at the moment but just trying to get all my equipment together.

I never really used a powerhead before I think with this volume of water it looks more important?

I have a canister filter (2700L/hr), and I also use a top filter that came with the tank for an added and different type of filtration.

I brought an aqua one power head 3000L/hr. I installed it but I feel like it's very powerful. Is this too much for much tank (tank is 182 can long).
Feel like my fish wouldn't like this?

I am at a bit of a loss so any help would be amazing.

Mick

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would have thought having your filter outlet at one end and the power head at the other would work ok. It's just a matter of angles. I have two filters, one at each end. The left outlet is angled across the tank to hit the front in the centre and the right outlet is more or less straight across the tank hitting the front at the far right. By trial and error I have found the best angles for my tank. Yours will probably be different, it depends on your tank decor. I have a huge tall piece of bog wood that helps to stop strong currents in the centre area.
My fish are all small and love the current but larger flat fish may struggle, so it also depends on your fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom