New Tank Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rogerrabbit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This is my first post on here.

I am looking at a 75 gal tank.

1) What kind and brand of filtration do you recommend(Power Filter, Canister or 2 Power Filters or one of each)?

2) Should I be looking at one 200W heater or two?

I am looking at stocking the tank with Cichlids.

Any help is appreciated.

1. Two powerfilters, or a combination of a canister and a powerfilter.....if you go the latter, which I would prefer, go with an AquaClear 300 and an Eheim classic canister.

2. Rule of thumb is 4W/gallon, so round up to 320W...and with a larger aquarium, a heater on each end is best, so go with a bit of overkill (the heaters will work less hard), and put a 200W on each end.

[center:f17c8de0dd] :smilecolros: Welcome to AA, rogerrabbit! :n00b: [/center:f17c8de0dd]

For my 80 gal African cichlid tank, I have a large canister filter and that has done a great job. I also only have one heater, but in all seriousness, I do not have enough outlets in this place.

What kind of cichlids are you planning on?

I will be getting African cichlids. My brother in-law was at the LFS and seen a 80 gal bow tank setup for about 740$$. The stand is pretty cool I guess. Can't really see spending the extra $$ for 5 more gal. I can get a 75 for 450$ with everything.

80 gal bow tank setup for about 740$
The bow front also makes it pricey!!

Which Africans are you looking at? I keep Mbuna, you can see them and their set up in my gallery :D

I got a 10 gal tank for my neice and her Dad gave her a Auratus(Taco) and he was way too aggressive. We have a Bumble Bee, Convict, small Pleco, and to Angle fish in there now. They all seem to get a long, not fighting yet.

Haven't really looked at which ones I will be getting. Just hoping that they don't kill each other.

Just hoping that they don't kill each other.
:eek2: That will be tough to avoid. Of all the cichlids I have kept, I have had to get rid of two for aggression; one was an Auratus.

The angel fish will not be able to defend themselves if attacked. They are slow swimmers and their fins are easy targets. Are all these fish in the 10 gal? Aside from that, you have many different types of cichlids. You have Central/South Americans and Lake Malawi cichlids. I never sugest keeping these fish together. Sometimes it works out; however, more often, it ends badly for many of the fish involved.

Back
Top Bottom