New Tank set up and Questions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ace1uno_00

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I set up my 58 gallon oceanic tank a few days ago. It has the overflow in the back center.
I have the water flowing down to a Pro Clear aquatics 150 wet/dry with a Rio 2500 running the skimmer and a Mag Drive 9.5 returning the water.

My question is, Why can't the water flow coming from the overflow keep up with my mag drive?
I have the Valve all the way open coming from the over flow and only using half of the potential of the return pump. Its not creating the high flow i wanted in my tank.
whats the deal?

thanks guys.

From what I’ve read the overflow is 1” which should give you 600 gph. Your Mag 9.5 does 800 gph at 4’ so I would expect it not to keep up at full power. That said this guy has the same setup and doesn’t mention having to limit the output of his Mag 9.5 so I’m kind of at a loss since you are using half the return power of the Mag 9.5. He does run it through his skimmer first so that might be it.

Even 600 gph would just barely give you the turnover you need on the tank (10+X) so it looks like you will have to supplement with either a closed loop system or with an additional ph or two in the tank.

yeah that is my set up. but why is my flow so restricted. could it be that i'm using silicone hose instead of PVC pipe?

I do not want to have power heads in my tank. i want a nice clean show look.
any ideas or adice to increas the flow down to the sump?

Actually silicon hose with smooth bends should have less resistance than PVC.
I do not want to have power heads in my tank. i want a nice clean show look.
I accomplished this with a closed loop and loc-line fittings. Works great. Only other option you have is to increase the overflow bulkhead size.

I do not know of a way to make your overflow drain more than what you are getting from it now, unless there is some restriction somewhere. Otherwis you have two choices. 1 is to simply add an external overflow. The second is to add a closed loop for more current in the tank. This is the route I am going to take. If done right the loop will be invisible, except for the return nozzles. Check out this site for ideas on the closed loop: http://www.oceansmotions.com/

To change the overflow bulkhead size you will need to break down the tank and have the hole in the glass made larger risking breaking the tank. Not a choice as far as I am concerned.

Macrosill said:
To change the overflow bulkhead size you will need to break down the tank and have the hole in the glass made larger risking breaking the tank. Not a choice as far as I am concerned.
I agree completely.
I do have a slight bend in the hose going to the sump. I will try to straighten it out.
That oceansmotion stuff is way nice but, kinda pricey.
Would i need a sperate pump to run the closed loop?

Brenden, do you have a pic or sketch on how you created your closed loop?
Thanks guys.

ok i increased the flow in the tank some.
what i did is decrease the bend in the hose goin to the sump and lowered the adjustable pipe in the overflow section as low as it can go. i have great surface agitation now. I guess if i get a high current anemone then i'll just get a ph then but i really dont want phs in my tank...
but anyother suggestions to increase flow?

A closed loop will need a seperate pump. The oceanmotions stuff is pricey buy there a pics of some setups and it is a nice place to get some ideas.

Back
Top Bottom