New Tank Smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freshjiivetv

Aquarium Advice Newbie
About a week and a half ago I went out and bought the 23 liter fluval edge, added plants (2 bamboo, 2 moss balls and some random floating plant thing in the store) and then added about 12 cherry shrimp. Everything has been going great so far , cherry shrimp are happy, eating and molting as I'd expect (I've even had a pregnant mother release her fry) Yesterday I noticed an odd odor coming from the tank, I'd almost say it smells skunkish. I looked it up online did a quick pH test and noticed it was around 5.5 I quickly did a 20% water change but the odor is still there?
I'm very new to this, I've read over about how tanks need to cycle over the course of a few weeks or month to get good bacteria, but I can't find anything relating to this odor. None of the plants have died, all of the original shrimp are fine, where could it be coming from?
Thanks for your input!

Andrew

5.5 ph is very low. Have you tested your tap water? In order to do so you need to put some water in a cup and either aerate it or stir it occasionally over a 24 hour period. When the 24 hours is up do a ph test. Do you know the gh and kh in your tank?

You obviously didn't cycle the tank but have you been checking your ammonia and nitrites daily? With such a low ph your tank can't cycle because when ph drops to 6 or lower beneficial bacteria can't grow.

Carbon in the filter can help remove smell but a healthy tank doesn't smell bad.

Hey there thanks for the reply
I just did another test , after doing a 20 % water change yesterday i had the pH ar atound 6.5 and now it's dropped back to 5.5 over night. I set some tap water aside to test that as you suggested which I will test tomorrow. At this time I don't have the tests for GH and KH but I just did a nitrate test as well and it was around 20 mg/L.
Should I do another water change?

I suggest doing a 50% WC now and if the smell persists perhaps another one tomorrow. Test your tap water and if it has a low ph you may have to use crushed coral in your filter or begin using a product such as Seachem Equilibrium for planted tanks. I also suggest getting an API Gh and Kh test kit. It has two kits in the box, one for Gh and one for Kh.

Thanks for the reply! I'll do the WC today and let you know how it goes.

So an update.. I did a 50% water change about 6 hours ago, PH is 6.5 and smell is still there. Checked the filters gave the foam and activated carbon a quick rinse and smell is still there. Wondering if it's possibly the malaysian driftwood I have?

Back
Top Bottom