New tank stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Southpaw

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey AA, I have decided I want to have a cichlid tank again. I used to have a mixed 55 African tank but being in a one bed room apartment space is tight. I have room for a 30" tank and stand. Whether its 20 long or a 29 I am undecided if the 29 is worth it or will the upper column just always be empty. I know I want dwarf cichlids, but still want the vibrant color which has me veering away from shell dwellers. Just looking on everyone's input on what direction I should go!?!?

Thanks

Hey AA, I have decided I want to have a cichlid tank again. I used to have a mixed 55 African tank but being in a one bed room apartment space is tight. I have room for a 30" tank and stand. Whether its 20 long or a 29 I am undecided if the 29 is worth it or will the upper column just always be empty. I know I want dwarf cichlids, but still want the vibrant color which has me veering away from shell dwellers. Just looking on everyone's input on what direction I should go!?!?

Thanks

Petco is having their $/gal sale why not pick up a 40g tank and 29g is ok but only for a few

That's what I was thinking. What stock do you think would work best for me? I did a peacock tank before, so I am new to the dwarf side of things

That's what I was thinking. What stock do you think would work best for me? I did a peacock tank before, so I am new to the dwarf side of things

I'm not a dwarf guy either lol ill wait for a veteran to chime in

im not an expert but my favorite smallish cichlid is the apistogramma cacatuoides they are beautiful and get about 3 inches

Dwarfs are great! I have a blue ram pair in a 36 with a school of tetras and some otocinclus. Love it! They're little goofballs!im tempted to do an apisto pair in there too. Petsmart just started stocking double red apistos!

Apistos look great! If I went that route how many would you recommend? Starting with a brand new setup. What other dwarf cichlids could be an option for this setup? I appreciate any of the info, brand new to these guys.

I'd just do a pair try for a male and a female. You may be ok to do a pair of them and a pair of blue, gold, or Bolivian rams but I haven't tried or done it yet so I don't know. You can do pair of dwarfs, a school of like 8 neon tetras, and like 3 pepper or juli Cory's. will be nice looking and active tank.

And if same footprint I'd do the 29. Tetras swim in top half. I can't upload more pics till I pay to join or I'd show you mine. If you want pm me your email and ill send a poc

I was reading an old thread about 'Maltis" and those little buggers seemed cool. Maybe I should not count out shell dwellers, I like that I could fit a good handful of them in this tank.

I only hear great things about these fish. Pics would be great to see a setup example for them! Do they breed often? If so, do you just leave them in the main tank?

I am in the middle of redoing their home, and will post pics as soon as it's done. When I got them they only had shells in the tank, and now I am doing a bunch of rock work as well. They seem to breed constantly lol. They are a colony fish so they welcome several generations of fry, and I won't have to thin out the group for a long long time. Pics coming soon...

Back
Top Bottom