New Tank Today and RENA XP3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SKEET

Aquarium Advice Regular
Since I still cant read the responses to any of the other posts I did yesterday I will start over.

I got my 55 gal kit today and went ahead with the RENA filstar XP3 cannister filter.

I set tank up and put in 50 pounlds of rock, 25# of two different sizes. I have filled with water that I treated with Aquasafe declorinator, pump is running, after about 3 hours now the temp is holding at 79.9 degrees(digital probe).

Got about 3 feet of bubble rod at back wall and a 3 inch round bubble stone in front right corner of tank, using a Tetra 60 gal air pump.

I also got a test kit like you guys mentioned, High Range PH=7.4 , PH=7.6 , Amonnia= 0.25 , Nitrite=0 , Nitrate=0..

No fish yet, now how long do I wait , what test readings before adding fish , and what else do I need to do???

I got a bottle of CYCLE, it says add 50 mL to start , should I use this stuff.

Why can't you read the responses from yesterday?

Since Ammonia is present, you have chloramines in your water. You will need a dechlorinator that removes chloramines. Does the Aquasafe do that?

Do not use the cycle. It's a waste of money, return it. Before adding fish you need to cycle the tank. I prefer the pure ammonia method but some use raw shrimp or decomposing food. The pure ammonia seems to work faster since you do not have to wait around for the shrimp or food to decompose.

Start out by reading these articles and asking as many questions as you need:
Fishless cycle (It says for saltwater but it works for freshwater as well)
Nitrogen cycle
Stocking Guidelines for Newbies

Add fish when your Ammonia is 0, Nitrites are 0, and Nitrates are at least 10. That's when the tank has cycled.

Here is an article on fishless cycling. Ignore the SW part works for FW too. Pure ammonia, available from Ace Hardware is the best choice. You don't want to watch a shrimp rot.

Cycle is garbage take it back and get your money back. It does not have the bacteria you want. if you have friend with an established tank ask if you can have a used filter pad that will help tremendously.

I dont know about the post problems, I was able to read them the first time I checked the responses but then just keep getting XML error messages even when I try to look today.

OK, I will take the CYCLE back and read the articles on fishless cycle and the others you linked.

Thank you for the responses and will post all progress.

Back
Top Bottom