New Tank, what water to use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UCrazyKid

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I'm starting from scratch. Can I use tap water? Do I need to filter it? Do I need to get distilled?

If I use tap, can I run it with my carbon packed Fluval to clean it for a few days? Can I then remove the carbon and add antibiotics to kill off unwanted stuff? I have a UV sterilizer too, should I run that?

This is all BEFORE adding coral/sand or anything else.

Andy

use R/O (reverse osmosis) water. a good R/O unit is pretty much a nesicity for larger tanks, but like me, you can purchase water from the store to use if your tank is smaller. ( the bigger the tank, the less cost effective purchasing water becomes.)

Tap water will lead to poor water conditions and giant algea outbreaks.

I would add the sand first, but thats just me.

Here's as good a place as any to ask...

I hear (read) a lot of people talking about getting RO water in the store. Where? Is it near the distilled bottled water? Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough...

-j

R/O water would be sold in bulk, dispensed out of a machine with empty jugs for sale nearby.
Your LFS might also sell R/O water.

Tap water isn't good, aside from teh potential additions of heavy metals, tap water contains carbonate hardness...r/o water does not. You can end up with too much carbonate hardness by using tap water. Your salt mix is designed to be mixed with very soft water to achieve a proper hardness on its own.
Also, weird amounts of magnesium in tap water can cause problems with alkalinity and calcium levels.

However a large part of this boils down to: is this fish only, FOWLR, or Reef? If it's fish only, you could get by with tap water. FOWLR or Reef should go with R/O.

You will be much better off getting your own RO unit. You will be using this for the initial fill, water changes etc. Small investment that will pay off big-time. How large is the tank you are setting up?

I use R/O water sold in One Gallon Jugs at any wal-mart.

It is in a green capped jug and labled "spring water"

If you look at the tiny print you see it has been carbon filtered, and reversed osmosified.

The "drinkng water" in the blue capped jug adds another level of treatment that I am a bit nervous about, so I dont use it.

Sam said:
You will be much better off getting your own RO unit. You will be using this for the initial fill, water changes etc. Small investment that will pay off big-time.

The problem with that is 1. I live in an apartment, and 2. that if I save up enough for a R/O unit, I am going to spend it on a lighting upgrade, or a refractor, or more Live Rock.

If I had a big tank it would be a different story.

Sorry, here are some more details.

it is a 60 gallon tank that I plan on setting up as FOWLR

I've got a great visual of me at the Walmart with 65 jugs of spring water.

I plan on adding the water and then adding the salt to the tank and letting the filters/powerheads do the mixing.

Well first if you are planning to add sand, this is the first thing to go in. Secondly, if you are planning to add LR, make sure you leave room in the tank for it (displacement). Depending on where you get the LR from, you can use it to cycle the tank too. Yell if you need any more assistance. HTH

So I start calling around and now I'm finding out that I can get Distilled or RO. which is better?

As far as adding sand. If I'm going to add live sand, then I need to have the water in first and have the salt mix correct, right?

Jeeze this is a lot of work!!!

So I'm thinking I'll start out with crushed coral ~40 pounds, add the water, add the salt, then once it is dissolved then add 20 pounds of Live sand. Minimizing the amount of overflow from the coral, and having saltwater ready for the live sand.

Then... add some live rock and let it cycle.

RO is the way to go, distilled if RO not available. Opinions vary as to the use of so-called 'live sand.' Basically if you use regular playsand, once you put your LR in there, the sand becomes 'live' after a while. But yes, if you plan to add pre-packaged live sand, then salt up half a tank of water, then add the LS. I would stay away from the CC as this can potentially lead to 'dead pockets' (search for more on that here). Other than that yup, once it is stabilized, add the LR and let it cycle. I would make up a batch of SW in a brand new clean container so that when you place the rocks in the tank (obviously you want to work with just the half tank of water), you can then top off the tank with the pre-made mix.

Yes, it is a lot of work, but if you are committed, it is also enjoyable especially when you add your first specimen :D HTH

The water might be cheaper out of the machines than in the jug--it's RO only, not ro/DI. I pay 30 cents a gallon at the grocery store.

Back
Top Bottom